Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I opened one sleepy eye to locate the source of the noise that woke me. My phone had lit up and displayed an incoming call. I reached over to the bedside table, and answered it.

“Hello?”

“Selena.”

“Oh hi mom, what’s up?” I asked, my voice still thick with sleep. I heard Harry roll over beside me and I grinned at his messed up hair and half open eyes.

“I need you to come down to the lawyer’s office later today. Around 2pm if that’s alright with you.”

“What’s the lawyer for?”

“Oh, um you will just need to sign off on some documents as to the arrangements for joint custody.” Mom said.

“What do you mean?” I asked slowly.

“Your father and I decided we can no longer tolerate being under the same roof together, so we filed for a divorce yesterday evening.”

“Please tell me you are kidding,” my voice was dangerously quiet, and out of the corner of my eye I saw Harry prop himself up on his elbows, looking at me with confusion written all over his face.

“I am not. This isn’t a joking matter Selena. I thought you were old enough to understand that.”

“YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!! SO YOU CAN HANDLE THE PAST FEW MONTHS TOGETHER, WHEN TYLER WAS SICK, AND NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN YOU CAN’T STAND EACH OTHER NOW THAT HE FUCKING DIED. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO?!?!” I was now screaming into the phone, and felt a tear slide down my face. Harry brushed it away, his face contorted with worry, and still confusion.

“Don’t you dare use that language with me Selena.”

“But don’t you even take into consideration what this is going to do to the family!?! I mean look at Callum. He has resorted to drinking, and he is losing weight like crazy, but do you notice that? No! Look at Maddy, crying her eyes out in bed for days, and you don’t even think twice about her! Harry and I had to get her out of the house, to go visit Tyler’s grave, which is something you and Dad have yet to do! It’s like you don’t even give a fuck what happens to this family now. Yes, I lost my little brother, yes you lost your son, but that doesn’t mean you neglect the rest of the family! Where the hell is your head Mom?!?” I was still yelling into the phone.

“Selena, you are blowing this way out of proportion. And who is this Harry anyways?” Mom said in a stern voice.

“Harry Styles.”

“Selena Marie Thompson. What have I told you child? Where are your values!? Harry Styles is a celebrity, and he will do nothing but hurt you. And don’t be deluded into thinking that he actually cares about you. Have you not read the tabloids? He sleeps around with any slut that he can get his hands on.”

“LEAVE HARRY THE FUCK OUT OF THIS. AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION, HE IS NOT AT ALL WHAT THE PAPARAZZI DESCRIBE HIM TO BE. AND HE CARES ABOUT ME A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN YOU SEEM TO.” I was yelling again. Mom had drawn the last straw, and I was shaking with anger.

“I doubt that. Highly doubt that. If you are with him, I want you to come home this instant. And never speak to the boy again. I don’t need my teenage daughter getting pregnant.”

“MOM WOULD YOU FUCKING LISTEN TO ME?!?! I HONESTLY COULD CARE LESS WHAT YOU THINK RIGHT NOW, BECAUSE WHEN I WAS BROKEN OVER TYLER, YOU WEREN’T THERE. HARRY WAS. AND YOU KNOW WHAT?!? I LOVE HIM. END OF STORY. I will be at the lawyers office at 2. To sign your bloody divorce papers. But since I’m eighteen, I legally don’t have to live with either of you two. My decisions are my own, mother. I hope you are happy with the way you have torn the family apart. And don’t lie to yourself thinking I will forgive you. At times like these, we need our family. And if you are going to tear us apart, don’t expect me to like it.”