Chapter 1 - News

My right hand was slowly becoming numb from pressing down so hard on the white, smooth paper. This test was by far one of the hardest of have ever took, and for the first time, I was scared. Since the fifth grade I've been a straight A student. Never getting below an A minus on any assignment. Not even math, the most dreading subject known to man kind. And this test, was sure as hell not going to ruin my clean streak.

Circling my last question, I set my pencil down and shook out my hand. Exhaling, I stood up from my chair and began to walk to the front of the classroom. Reaching the teacher's desk, I placed my paper in the wire basket, where a couple of other tests already were.

I didn't have much running for myself. Which, was why grades was such an important factor in my life. That, and a load of service hours that makes me want to puke of boredom. Since the day I was born, I was taught to always do my best in everything I do. This, made me very competitive. Loosing isn't really an option for me, ever. No, I don't do sports. I suck at every single one. Even dancing, which is hardly under the category sport.

My parents are no exception to the rule always try your best. My father is one of the best sergeants in the nation, and my mother is a hardworking lawyer. I hardly get to see them, since there're always working. So, my parents hired Sandy. A plump, short French maid. Since she's been around since I was two, she's practically my second mother.

Usually, our house is quiet, normal. I like it that way, though. Normal. It's simplistic. No worries, no fears.

Smiling at my teacher, I turned back around.

"Shi-" I yelled, suddenly laying on the floor. I shut my mouth just in time when I realized there was a teacher in the room.

Looking up, I realized it was River. Of course... Who else would it be? There's no one else in the entire school, not even Ethan and Kyle, River's minions, that's as self-centered as him. Every guy wants to be him, and every girl wants to be with him. I don't see why, though. His pretty exterior only hides the rotten fruit beneath. He's a jerk, an ass to be more exact.

"My bad," he smirks, sarcasm oozing from his voice.

I give him a smile as fake as his reputation, and lift myself up. He doesn't even give me any help to get up, not that I would take it, that is. Nothing about him is warming to the heart. He's cold, just like his little Barbie dolls he knocks up every weekend. Amber and her pack of fricken wolves are all over him, but no one is more interested in him then her. She's a feminine version of River, only with more ass-type personality.

"I'm fine, thanks for asking," I mutter, heading back to my seat.

That's when I realize the whole class so staring at us. Mostly me, probably because I'm a nobody, but also because I'm looking like an angry mutt, when most girls would be turing into a very happy tomato.

The bell rings as soon as I arrive at my seat. Gathering my things, I cling them to my side and rush out the door. Thankfully, that was my last class. All I want to do is find Marisa, my only friend, go to her house, and watch scary movies until we rot.

The hallways are crazy, with all different types of cliques walking around tying to blend in with the crowd, since there helpless without their "squad." Of course, with the exception of Amber. She can basically walk around with a skiing jacket in summer, and people would call that a "trend."