Chapter 11

I still felt the reminiscence of pain in my leg as my heels clicked on the concrete. My heart was beating out of my chest as I walked into the jailhouse. It wasn't his fault. I had to keep reminding myself. He doesn't belong here.

The front desk looked okay to me. It was nice and clean, formal and sophisticated. I told them who I was here for and showed them the bail money. They brought up a guy to come unlock Patrick.

I sat eagerly, waiting in the room. The door was cracked open a bit. I looked inside at all of the typical burley men, loaded with tattoos and shaved hair. They were criminals. They'd done despicable things that they couldn't get away with and they've wound up here. Patrick does not belong with these people.

He came out behind the officer and seemed a little surprised to see me. I fought the urge to smile. He may not deserve to be here, but he still paid off someone to hide what he did. I'm not going to forgive him that easily.

I turned and walked towards the door, adjusting my purse strap on my shoulder as I started walking back towards the car.

"Em! Wait!" Patrick called, stumbling on to chase me down. A few people in he waiting room chuckled.

He caught my arm and spun me around, quickly taking his hand off me. He looked around and brushed himself off.

"Is this how it's going to be?" I asked, squinting my eyes, "You're going to have to hide me in fear of rumors? What am I..your charity case?"

"No, no Emerald..." he started.

"Don't call me that," I bit at him. "You have no right to call me by my name after what you've done. Just get in the damn car so I can drive you home and get away."

He sighed and obeyed me, ducking his head under and into the car. I started it up and wasn't the most careful with my foot on the pedal.

"Please don't leave..." Patrick begged, looking to his shoes. His shoulders were slumped and his hair was falling flat to his face.

"And why not? I was trouble enough the first time and you certainly don't want to have these stupid rumors flying around your head, following you everywhere you go in your career," I replied.

"I did it for you Em-" he cut off before he could say my full name, "I did it to keep you safe."

I bit my lip, surprised it wasn't bleeding by now. I was running out of things to say. He was either a really good liar and actor, or he was telling the honest truth. Either way, it pulled at my heartstrings.

"Yeah..didn't work out so well for you did it?" My voice was starting to crack.

He took notice and swallowed hard. It stayed silent for the rest of the ride to his house. I parked in the driveway and turned the engine off.

There were tears in his eyes now. I could just barely see them when the light was hitting his eyes at the right angle. He pulled himself together, but wasn't so good at hiding it.

"Please don't leave," he said again.

"Patrick.." I felt myself start to give in, but thought better, "You know I can't. Not after this."

"Em I'm begging you," he turned in his seat and stared into my eyes.

It was a battle well fought. I had to be the one to break away. "Why?" I asked, "After everything that's happened, why do you still want me around?"

He turned back faced forward, slumping down in the seat. It looked like he'd given up, like he'd lost what he wanted to say; then it came randomly as my hand went to the door handle.

"Because I love you," he pushed out of him.

I froze, staring down at my hand.

"I love you. I love your eyes, your hair, your personality, your sassy side, your acceptance, your taste, your smile, your laugh, your name... Emerald, I love everything about you and it's been a long time since I've been this much in love with someone. I'm trying to protect you, not drive you away. You're in my mind with every decision I make," he poured out.

I swallowed guilt and bit hard at my bottom lip to hold tears in.

"And I can't lose you again..." he said.

I turned to him and didn't have to ask for him to latch onto me. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and held me in close, taking short breaths in and out. He was happily surprised to have me back and so close to him. His hands locked around me and he whispered acceptance into my ear.

He was too sweet to go any further than that. That's what I love about him. He's no innocent little flower, but he's not a dirty liar. He pulled me into his lap and opened the door, carrying me out and up the driveway.

"I can walk Patrick..." I say to him.

"I know," he said, "I don't care."

I blushed deeply and hid my face in his shirt. It reeked of sweat from the jail, but it didn't really bother me too much. I was too saturated in him to care.

I got really tired shortly after we got into the house. Closing my eyes tightly, I felt him take the turn into the bedroom. He laid me down in the bed and pulled the covers up. He kissed my forehead and pushed a strand of hair from my eyes before leaving the room.

If I wasn't so tired, I would've asked him to stay, but I barely had enough left in me to lift a finger. The door closed most of the way, leaving all but a tiny sliver of light. I felt myself being pulled away into sleep and willingly let it take over.