Haru Haru ~ chapter 1

You’re POV

“Princess Lexori your father requests that you go to his study immediately.” Your father’s most trusted servant Joku told you through your bedroom door as you were getting ready for the day.

“Tell my father I will come to his study as soon as I finish getting ready Joku.” You said as you put your favorite outfit on. It had black shorts and a black short-sleeved top with a white kimono top over it. You then quickly put your hair into a high pony tail using a ribbon and pulled on your black fingerless gloves and you set off towards your father’s study. A few minutes later you were outside the intricately carved door that opened up into the study. You knocked three times and waited to be allowed entrance. A few moments later the huge double doors swung inward on hidden hinges. You stepped in and noticed your older half-brother Hojo was there as well. You walked up to your father and bowed.

“Raise my daughter,” Your father said as he tilted your bowed head up. You stood up and joined Hojo who was sitting on a cushion. “I have a very important job for the two of you.” He said looking between the two of you. “I need the two of you to go find the Band of Seven and give them this.” He said as he handed Hojo a scroll. Hojo quickly read it and stood.

“Father why didn’t you tell me our lands are being invaded and our villages are being raised to the ground. We could have stopped them if we dealt with this when they first invaded two weeks ago. Now they will be at our gates before the week is over.” Hojo said barely containing his anger. “What if we can’t find the Band of Seven in time and they reach the castle and the Band of Seven is not there. We’ll be slaughtered even the children won’t be spared.”  During your brother’s rant he had dropped the scroll and you had picked it up so it wouldn’t be trampled by his pacing and were now scanning it. It read that if the Band of Seven accepted they would be paid a vast amount of gold. The amount of gold her father was willing to pay would deplete half of the treasury and the Band of Seven still might not accept.

“That is the reason I am sending you my children.” Your thoughts were interrupted by your father talking. “If you cannot find the Band of Seven in time and they reach our walls you are right, our army is too weak right now and everyone will be slaughtered. But if that’s the case the two of you will survive because if you cannot find the Band of Seven you will not return to the castle, instead the two of you will go to my friend Haru. He is the Lord of the Northern Forest and he will take care of you until you can reclaim your birthright as Lord of the Eastern Woods my son.” 

You and your brother looked at each other and your brother spoke “I would rather stay and fight beside you father but Lexori must live and if I don’t at least attempt to find the Band of Seven her and the rest of our subjects will perish. We will find them father and we will be victorious.” Your brother promised but you knew your brother well enough that you knew he doubted his words.

“Good the two of you must leave at once, take only what you will need. I hope this is not farewell but if it is, Hojo you will make an excellent Lord, do not doubt yourself and listen to and protect your sister, she notices things not many notice and that may save your lives on your journey. Lexori, you’re quick to think and very observant, your brother will need your help. You don’t know how to defend yourself so please do not provoke the Band of Seven for your own sake.” You silently laughed at your father’s last sentence. You could fight better than most men but only one person knew it, your best friend and protector Kuran. He taught you how to fight, oh how you missed him, he was away on a mission from your father. “Now leave I have pressing matters to attend to” your father said going back to the military reports on his lap.  You ran back to your room and packed for your journey, you didn’t know if you would ever come back so you went to the middle of your room and pulled up two loose floorboards that were side by side. From the opening you took your weapons; duel swords that could be joined together to make a single blade or at the handles to created a double bladed staff, a weapon that had a lead ball at one end and ten sickles at the other and were connected by a chain, a set of throwing knives, two sais, multiple knives, a bow, and a quiver of arrows. You sighed and began putting your weapons on. By the time you were done you had knives hidden in both of your gloves, at the base of your neck, and on your legs. Your duel swords were joined into a single sword on your back, your ball and sickle was tucked into the back of your obi, your throwing knives were strapped to the inside of the white kimono top, the sais were at your wait hanging from your obi, the quiver of arrows was also on your back and you carried your bow in your left hand. Over all this you donned a hooded black cloak to protect your identity and conceal your visible weapons. You then walked into the courtyard and waited for Hojo. He had a bag of coins, his sword, and the scroll.

“Ready” was all he said. You knew he was angry he had to leave. You nodded you head in reply. Then the horse master Idio brought out two horses and gave the two of you the reins. You mounted your black stallion Shadow while Hojo mounted his brown one named Kukri. Then the two of you set off to find the Band of Seven.