Prelude

8 years ago...

My slippers slapped against the stone floor as I sprinted down the hall, panting. My long and wavy ebony hair flew out of its high bun, strands hanging down my face, but it didn't bother me. Spotting the grand double oak doors, I pushed the door open with all my strength. "Father?!" I cried.

The room was dark, the drapes drawn. It smelled weird, like some foreign herbs. As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I saw a woman standing next to Father's bed, her hands clasped in front of her. "Snow White, what are you doing here?"

It was Stepmother. I stepped forward tentatively and called her by her name, "Gabrielle, is Father alright?" My voice quavered.

"What... are you doing here sweetie?" she repeated her question with a fake sweet tone. Gabrielle was only ever kind to me when she was courting my father, but even then, I knew she wasn't being genuine. Then after she married him, she didn't pay any mind to me, acting quite annoyed.

"I heard you calling for the guards... is Father ok?" I asked, a little bolder.

She sniffled, sounding very fake, "I'm not sure. Take a look for yourself Snow White."

I walked towards his bed, the smell of herbs getting stronger. My father was lying on the bed, pale and thin. His eyes were sunken into the sockets and seemed glossed over. "Father?" I asked quietly on the verge of tears, placing my small hand on his.

He looked towards me when I said this and his eyes cleared up. For a moment they seemed bright and he looked like his old self. "My dear Snow," he rasped, cupping my cheek with a hand, "you have always been there for me." I smiled, but then he started coughing violently.

"Father!" I cried out and held his hands.

He slipped something into my palm and closed them tightly.

"What..." I started to ask.

"Keep that to yourself," he coughed out. I turned around and looked at Gabrielle. She was sticking her head out of the room, calling for guards. My father coughed again and I looked back at him, tears starting to fall down from my eyes. Looking at him, I knew he wasn't going to make it. He seemed so much older than he really was. "Snow," he called raspily.

"Yes?" I answered tearfully.

He smiled softly. "I'm sorry I'm going to miss your seventh birthday."

I burst into tears and draped myself over him. Over my sobbing, I heard the sound of the guards' boots running into the room. They pulled me off of my father as I flailed about, crying over and over, "Father!" The guards were telling me repeatedly that my father could have possibly been contagious, but I didn't care. I just wanted my daddy.

They pulled me outside and put me into the arms of Gabrielle. I looked up at her and I remember her looking down at me with something that looked like a smirk on her lips. "Stepmother...?" It was the first time I called her that. I expected her to at least comfort me or something.

But instead she said with a slight amount of satisfaction, "Go to your room Snow White. Your father is gone."

I pulled myself away from her cold arms and ran all the way to my room, my tears almost blurring my entire vision. I was still clutching the packet of cloth my father had handed me, but I was too upset to open it so I threw it into my end table.

Father's funeral was extravagant. The entire kingdom of Tangled-rose mourned for one of their most generous kings in history. It reminded me of my mother's funeral about three years ago, or at least what I could remember of it. Since I was much too young to take the crown, Gabrielle did. She became Queen Gabrielle. I didn't know it then, but she changed my beloved kingdom for the worse, as I soon found out.

After the ceremony, I lay in my giant bed and to the soft candlelight, opened up the small packet of cloth. A small golden locket tumbled out and engraved on the back of the heart were my father and mother's names. After wearing it around my neck, I took out something else that was in the packet: a note. It read,

Dear Snow White,

I fear I will not live for long. Something has happened to me and I have my suspicions. First of all, this locket belonged to your mother. I gave it to her when we married. I present it to you as a good luck charm and something for you to remember us by.

I love you very much Snow. I wanted you to have the best of everything. I know one day you will become the best ruler our kingdom, no, our world, will ever know. You are destined for beautiful and great accomplishments.

Never forget how much I love you Snow.

~ Father

I had dried my eyes out from the funeral already, but I started to feel more tears form and drip onto the note. I flipped it over and my eyes widened when I read the hastily scribbled note:

Do not trust Gabrielle.