Pathetic Essays

"Agh! I just don't get it!

Times like this made you wonder why you even enrolled in the highest level of Language Arts in your grade. It's almost been an entire year of this class, with your professor constantly reminding everyone that "your grade does not matter in this class, as long as your writing improves by the end of the year."

It's almost the end of the school year.

And your writing has not improved.

Looking upon the average-scored essays upon your desk made you groan in failure and annoyance as you reread the red comments sprawled across the papers. How is it even possible to get the same scores this constant, even when you worked your butt off to get a higher score? You honestly tried to understand the random prompts every week and finish as many pages as you could in 45 minutes. But your score to no avail had improved since the very first essay of the year. Feeling frustrated again, a heavy sigh escaped your lips as you let your thoughts wonder around on how you were going to save your grade.

Just then Tsukishima had walked in, already knowing why your figure was slumped over the desk full of essays. "Another average score I see? Ha, how pathetic." Sitting in front of you, he kept smirking as he was already formulating another insult in response to yours that you usually barked back at him. Your friendship with the giant athlete was no normal one, for people didn't understand how you both never took the seemingly serious insults to heart. Tsukishima always thought he would never have a friendship with a girl for long, for he was well aware that his sarcastic and snarky self was too complicated to deal with. But one day when you accidently bumped into him while hurrying to class and you grumbling something along the lines of "Watch where you're going idiot!" instead of a normal apology (since it really was your fault), right then and there he felt irritated already. There was no way he was going to let you get away without a fight, especially having a gut feeling that you would be able to handle his sass with yours.

And just as he predicted, you indeed were able to handle it all-

But oddly enough, he was greeted with silence instead of the normal sassy remark.

And it actually worried him.

"Oi, can you hear me stup-"

"Shut up please."

"As if Mrs. Pathetic, I-"

"Shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!"

Silence filled the air again as he noticed you grabbing fistfuls of your (h/c) locks, head down and shoulders shaking as you attempted to keep the sobs that wanted to pour out of your quivering lips.

"I don't understand, but I want to." You looked up to him, vision blurred and voice wavering, "Am I really this pathetic?"

"Hm. It's just plain unavoidable, isn't it?" Kei snickers, a very much failed attempt to lighten up the mood that was starting to feel too uncomfortable seeing you this way in front of him.

Normally, you would've came up with some sort of better insult and laugh at the bickering between you both. But today, you weren't having it. Your walls had fallen for a quick second, all because of your essays. And now, you regretted letting your guard down so easy in front of him quite unexpectedly. To make things worse, you took his remark into your opened heart which had caused a tightening pain to start forming in your chest.

"Leave."

"Why? Are you too stupid to handle things on your own? How irritating."

That was it.

"If you won't leave, I will." That was enough for you to hurriedly pack all your things in your bag and head towards the door. Before you closed the door behind you, you turned back to Kei with silent tears slowly running down your face and whispered, "Don't talk to me anymore. I don't need you anymore." And with that, you ran off not caring of the glances that were towards you as you headed home. You needed to be as far away from him as possible, being around him at a time like this only maybe you feel worse by the second. But little did you know, Kei was feeling just as horrible by the second.

No. He didn't want his thoughts to come out like that. He wanted to tell you he wouldn't leave you alone, that he can help you, that you're smart enough, to trust him. He didn't want to watch your form leave the room and have the silence weigh heavily upon him. He wanted to grab your arm and pull you into a hug- which he never thought he would consider to do to anyone else but you. He had pushed his boundaries, his attitude taking over what he really wanted to say.

He looked out the window and saw you running further and further away, much like his chances of ever having things the same as they were before. He sighs heavily, looking back at a paper you had dropped while rapidly packing your things. Looking at the image and words scrawled across it, his heart only drops more.

"How pathetic of me."