36

A splash hit Cass's ears just before she hit the water. She was half-aware of Jason, in the waves a few feet away, before all her focus turned to swimming.

Pull, breathe. Pull, breathe.

From that height, the initial impact had probably knocked Reis unconscious. If he hit the water and not rocks, a voice whispered.

She was a strong swimmer. She would reach him. She had to reach him.

Pull, breathe. Pull, breathe.

Cass blinked water from her eyes and kicked herself high, doing her human spyhop to see if she could spot him. There-Reis floated a hundred feet or so nearer to shore. She leapt his direction, now keeping her head above the water so she didn't lose sight of him. He floated with his back up and face down.

She blinked furiously to keep her eyes from blurring with water. Sea water or tears, she couldn't tell.

Time stretched impossibly long until she reached him. His body felt heavy and waterlogged as she flipped him; his eyes were blank slits above twin bruises. She hooked one arm around his chest and under his arm, cradling his head against her side, and slipped into a powerful sidestroke, a lifesaver's stroke, scissor kicking with all her strength.

She was taking too long. How long could the human brain go without air? One minute? Three? She couldn't remember. Wasn't it longer in cold water?

Kick, kick. Kick, kick.

Her feet scraped bottom.

She staggered upright and half-carried, half-dragged Reis onto the rising rocks until she reached a flat space, dry and sunny. "Come on, Reis. Come on." Sobs welled up out of her, unstoppable. He wasn't breathing. She pounded his chest.

Reis's body convulsed. He heaved up a fountain of water, more water than Cass would have thought could fit in one stomach, but then he choked and gagged and, miraculously, began to breathe. Curled on one side, limp and white and fragile-looking, but breathing.

Jason staggered onto the shore beside her and bent double to catch his breath. "You," he puffed, "are one...amazing...swimmer. Geez...that water...is cold."

They found a place where Evie could maneuver the boat close enough to shore for them manhandle Reis into it. He tried to sit up as Cass and Jason splashed out to meet the boat, almost getting himself dunked again.

"Hold still, you dork," Jason yelled.

Together, they heaved him over the boat side.

"Where are we?" Reis mumbled.

Cass and Jason looked one another. They were both standing chest-deep in frigid water, soaked from hair to shoes. Because of Reis, who had just jumped off a cliff. And now he wanted to know where they were?

"Shut up," Jason growled. He motioned Cass forward and laced his fingers together to give her a boost over the side of the boat, then she and Evie hauled Jason in. Evie's face was white as the clouds behind her.

"We're only ten minutes from my place," Jason said, and revved the motor.

When they reached the dock, Evie tied up the boat while Cass and Jason helped Reis up the steep steps. Jason let them in the back door, which was unlocked. "Anyone home?" he called. "Of course there's no one home. Gramps is at the store. C'mon." He pointed to the tiny living room that opened off the kitchen. "Take him in there. I'll find some dry clothes for him. And for you."

Reis shook off her support. "I'm fine," he said, voice petulant. This was the fifth or sixth time he'd told them, but he was also shivering so hard he could barely stand by himself. He hobbled to the nearest sofa and let Cass cover him with a blanket.