3.6

Laura's POV

I've spent weeks drowning in tears. I think it's been a few months now. I don't really know, I don't keep track of the time. Ross has visited me everyday. Same thing, different way. He'd come, comfort me, cook me something, watch a movie, talk to me about things, kiss me goodbye, then leave. I wish he would stay the night, but I can't have everything. Plus, his family needs him way more than I do.

"L-Laurie?" My brothers voice whispers throughout my room. I look up to see Derrick at my door. I smile at him and he rushes over to my bed, embracing me into a big bear hug. He's been in the hospital for the amount of time I've been crying my heart out. I hug him back, beginning to cry once more. "Shhh, it's all gonna be okay. I've got ya..." He sits on my bed and pulls me closer, keeping me warm too. A knock on the door made sound.

"Um... Derrick honey... There are some girls at the door that are here to see you..." Our mother said. I let Derrick go and he stood up smiling at me. I lay back down and burry my face into my now saturated pillow.

Derrick's POV

I walk to the staircase and look back at Laura's bedroom door. Mom had walked in. I sigh and walk down the stairs and to the door. There stood a tall brunette with blonde highlights and a short blonde. The tall girl had the most mesmerising hazel eyes I've ever seen in my life. Woah... I smile as she smiles.

"Hi! You're Derrick, right?" The tall one asks. I nod in awe. She smiles again and giggles. "Well, I'm Ashley Reyes. I was your nurse at the hospital..." She explains. I nod. "Yeah, well, you left this in the room you were in." She hands me a box. That's funny, I don't remember leaving anything in the room.

"Oh- Uh- Th-Thanks!" I nervously stutter out. Both of the girls giggle and rush back to the car parked out on the curb. I look down at the box and open it. A note was inside. Okay, this isn't mine. I pull out the note and unfold it. It had writing on it. It said:

Dear Derrick. Okay, I'm not a nurse at the hospital and you didn't leave this in your room... I just wanted to give this to you. Okay, so here goes... You seem really nice, I like your personality and I think you're really cute. I wanted to know if you wanted to go out some time? That's fine if you don't want to. I understand... But if you do, here's my number! 555-329-716 Call me Derr! ~Ashley xx

I smile at the note and look in the box again. There's a piece of mettle inside. I pull it out to reveal a thick silver ring that has a guitar on the top. I smile at it and put it back in the box. I have an idea. I turn around after closing the door and I run upstairs, shoving the note into my pocket. I walk into Laura's room and sit on her bed. She looks at me and I smile at her. She gives me a confused look.

"I have something for you." I say, holding out the box that held the ring. "A friend gave it to me, but it's a bit girly for me so I thought I'd give it to my favourite person on the planet." I explain. She smiles and takes the box softly. She takes the top off and gasps seeing the ring. She looks at me and wraps her arms around my neck tightly in a hug. I hug her back and she breathes out, pulling back. "Go on, out it on!" I encourage. She giggles and slips the ring on her middle finger.

"I'll put it here. So that way, when I flip the bird at the people I dislike, they'll see it!" She beams and I smile. We both laugh and mom snaps a picture of our happiness and laughter. What a weirdo our mom is... Oh well, I still love her.

"Mom, is dinner ready?" I ask, gaining a click of the fingers and a gasp from mom. "You forgot about dinner, didn't you?" I ask in a dull tone. She backs out of the room and nods before rushing down the stairs. As if on cue, the fire alarm in the kitchen starts beeping. Both Laura and I start cracking up.

"Rick?" Laura starts. I look at her and she continues, "You're the best brother in the world. I love you!" She pulls me into a big hug and I pull her close, embracing her and making her warmer. We pull back and I pull the paper out of my pocket.

"Guess what?" I ask. She shrugs and I show her the paper, "I got a girls number without even trying!" Laura laughs and I smile. I stand up. "Okay, I'll leave you to get some...rest?" She shakes her head.

"No, I need to eat." She explains while standing up out of bed. She almost falls until I catch her in time.

"Woah there...settle down..." She smiles and I guide her downstairs. She's so fragile.