Chapter 20 - "An Old Friend..."

Doctors PoV

'Oh that was brilliant! Oh I love the telly here, but did you see that? Oh, Clara, you poor thing. You must feel like death. Let me get you out the way' Missy said appearing out of the sky.

'You dare' I snapped grabbing the control and slinging it on the ground.

'Oh. Sorry hon. I'm just getting a bit carried away. It's your friends. There always so much more fun to play with' she smirked. 'I'm here to give to you a gift. At least try to look excited'

'A gift is not killing the entire human race' I snapped looking away.

'You see Doctor. You always said you wanted an army. Well here it is. The more they kill the more they recruit. Happy Birthday'

'Birthday? I'm 2000 years old. I don't even know when my Birthday is anymore' I said not convinced.

'I know. Your 2000 today. Happy Birthday. Mr President'

'Doctor' the Cybermen chanted en sync.

'There all yours. Do as you will' she said and I was confused. 'Oh come on, crack a smile. I want to see those non existent eyebrows drop off' she smirked.

'All of this? Everything you have done? All the people you have bought back from the dead... Just to give me an army?'

'I don't need one do I? I'm so much better than you! Armies are for people who think they're right. And nobody thinks they're right more than you Doctor. Give a good man firepower and never run out of people to kill' she smirked.

'I don't used weapons. That's not how I roll' I pointed out.

'Only because you've never had one. I bet you'd use a weapon for her. I bet you'd kill every single Cyberman in less than a minute - that tried to harm her' she pointed out, and pointed at Clara.

'I don't want an army'

'Well that's the trouble. Yes you do deer. You've always wanted one really. How much easier would it be to save universes with an army at your side? Hmm?'

'Why are you doing this?' I snapped at her confused, trying to pull Clara off of Danny. 'Let go Clara' I begged but if anything she gripped to his armour tighter.

'I need you to know that we're not so different. I need my friend back' she begged. 'What's the problem deer? Don't you trust yourself?' She questioned with a raised eyebrow.

'Thank You. Thank you so much' I said and kissed Clara's forehead. Suddenly things were starting to make sense. Yes the woman's gone bananas but she had helped. 'I really didn't know. I wasn't sure. You lose sight sometimes, especially when you travel time and space alone. I am not a good man. But in not a bad one' I smiled jumping around. I was just a tiny bit giddy.

'So you know what I am? I am an idiot with a box and a screwdriver with a strange fetish for bow ties. Just passing through... Helping out. But I'm sorry. I'm in love' I said and Missy snapped her head up. Even Clara looked round. 'I'm to stubborn to admit it. Always have been. But love is an emotion. Love is a promise' I said looking at Clara and felt the pit of rage coming from Missy.

'Clara come here' I begged and she came towards me. 'I need you to stay still. I need access to your head again'

'Again?' She said through a shed tear.

'Again' I confirmed touching her face. 'I'm so, so sorry about this' I said and she tried to step away.

'Again?'

'Who do you think gave you all those ideas. "I'm the Doctor" I reiterated and she would get it. When Cyber Danny gave you an electric shock it broke the bond, but I need to re open it, and I'm sorry but it's going to be stronger than ever' I said, closing my eyes.

Which is where everything started to pour through. I could finally admit it. I am not a good man. And it's because I'm in love. A person does strange things for love.

Even an Alien.

I could feel her body shake as I was getting back in her head and rebuilding my connection.

'Love is a promise' I whispered to her as she smiled and gripped to my jacket.

I turned her around and Cyber Danny wrapped an arm around her. 'Which is why even now. No matter what lies she told. They loved each other. And he will never hurt her' I said. 'Catch'

I threw the funny bracelet at him and he caught it expertly. 'You didn't notice did you? While you were doing all your silly orders? There was one soldier not obeying'

Missy ran around confused.

'This is a promise. The promise of a soldier. This is Earths darkest hour. Goodbye' Danny said and I watched Clara crumple to the ground.

She has had a lot of shit she's been going through. And now more and more. I watched as she crumpled to the ground and took to behind a bush to vomit.

It's not fair for her.

'At least the clouds have all gone' she said as she stood up and wandered over wiping her mouth still pale and frail.

'Yes. Burned. Totally burned. Burned to nothing' I said.

'Ten Zero Eleven, Zero Zero by Zero Two' she said and I turned around.

'You what?' I snapped.

'Gallifrey. It's returned to its original location. Didn't you ever think to look?'

'There's no way it's there. If it was I would have stumbled upon it by now. And you... If you'd have found it you would have been bound to chains' I said.

'No more than what you will be when high court finds out' she said looking at Clara. 'Don't look so confused Doctor. Someone's been a naughty boy' she smirked.

'What are you talking about?'

'I can feel it. I can feel another Time Lord Doctor. Imperial law will be very interested to know what's been going on'

'I haven't been to Gallifrey for over 1500 years, they can't do anything' I said.

'But of cross breeding Doctor. It's not law. Of course you know that because you've been hiding her brain away from me' she smirked.

'Doctor I'm assuming you'll remember this co ordinates?' Clara said managing to somehow stand up. 'You won't hurt my baby' she said turning to Missy with Missy's remote in hand.

'No. No. Don't you dare. I won't let you' I said trying to grab the remote from her hand.

She finds it hard enough to sleep at night racked with guilt - let alone killing someone on purpose. 'If you ever let her live. Everything that has happened today is on you' she said.

'Clara. All I'm doing is not letting you kill her. I never said I was letting her live' I said approaching carefully. 'Give me the remote?' I asked soothingly.

'Really?'

'If that's what it takes to stop you. Then yes' I said and she let it slip from her hand into mine, and it all got too much.

I could see it on her face, she wasn't holding up as well as she wanted to. 'Come here' I said as she limped towards me and collapsed in my arms. 'Shush' I said laying her on the grass, then turned to Missy. 

'Seriously? Oh Doctor. To save her soul?'

'No. So she can sleep with less guilt than she already does' I said and vaporised her.

I knew where she had gone. I knew she would be back. She had done a clever thing and would be back. But for now she's gone.