Part 4

I led him to my room and unlocked the door. Opening it slightly, I rushed in, leaving him waiting outside. He began knocking on the door.
"Nandini! What is this? Open the door!"
"Just wait Manik. I can't let you see my room like this!"
"Does it really matter? I honestly couldn't care less about a messy room."
"Just a couple of minutes! Be patient," I said while I attempted to make my bed and hide some stuff from him. Aiyyappa, what if he saw these? I thought to myself as I put them away where they belonged.
I've had enough embarrassing moments for today already, I laughed to myself. I heard him outside, sighing in defeat and slouching on the door.
In a couple of minutes, I finally opened the door, only to have my hear skip a beat at the view in front of me. Leaning against the wall with his arms crossed, he had begun humming. I smiled to myself before tapping his shoulder.
"You don't want to come in anymore or what?" I said in a teasing tone before grabbing his arm and finally taking him inside. I didn't realize I was still holding onto him until I saw his widened eyes and a barely concealed smirk.
I let go in embarrassment, only to have him take mine instead and pull me close to him. I almost crashed into him, and, my other arm had found its own way to his chest. I really have no idea what was going on with me, but all this... All this just felt... right .
And as if I were in a trance, I tiptoed to reach his level and kissed his cheek. I've never felt so strongly about anyone before him. He smiled at me and leaned in close.
Letting out a giggle, I pushed him away before settling myself on my bed. I patted the spot beside me, telling him to sit beside me. But he chose to walk around my room, observing every little thing I had posted all around on the walls.
As I sat there, I couldn't help myself from staring at him. All this still felt quite unreal to be honest.
"I know I'm good looking; you don't need to keep checking me out Nandini!"
"Manik!" I whined as I threw the pillow on him.
He laughed as he came and sat beside
me. I had hid my face in my hands by
this time so I hadn't noticed how close he was to me until he whispered in my ear.
"It's not like I don't do it to you!" My
eyes widened upon hearing that. Unsure of what to do next, I just ended up grabbing another pillow and hitting him in an effort to change the topic.
Because let's be honest... How would I even respond to such a confession ? Except maybe turn into a human tomato as Navya often called me.
Grabbing the other pillow from the floor, he too attempted to hit me. Who
would've thought I'd be having a plow
fight with my crush in MY room, that too on the first day of meeting him?
It was a Christmas miracle indeed!
Soon enough, we both started laughing at our childish acts. But it felt nice to be able to do childish things once in a while. Brought back some bittersweet memories that never failed to make me smile.
As we regained our breath, I grabbed a picture frame from my bedside and
handed it to Manik.
"He's the most important person in my life, you know. Rishab, my brother!"
"What about your parents though?"
I took a deep breath; it still hurt to talk about what had happened.
"They actually died a long time ago in an accident"
"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that," he said as he placed his hand on mine, squeezing it slightly as he intertwined our fingers together.
"You know, my parents are alive. In fact both of them are doing great. But I don't even call them mom or dad. Almost as if we aren't even a family to begin with," he trailed off.
The atmosphere felt too serious in
comparison to how it was going earlier, but talking about my parents always made me sad. I tried to think of all the happy moments we had shared together, but it was so hard.
"You do realize that it's almost Christmas, right?" He shook my out of my thoughts.
"You can't be sad!"
A smile escaped before I could even
attempt to control it.
"You look better when you're smiling! Or actually, better yet..." he trailed off once again, leaving me puzzled.
Until I found his hands on my waist, his fingers tickling me. I contorted myself away from him as I gasped from air.
"Manik... st---stop!!!" Breathing heavily as I tried to stop his hands. In an attempt to turn myself away from him, I ended up lying down on my bed, taking him along with me.
Great Aiyyappa. Because this is what I
needed right? He's this close to me, and here I am... Crying and struggling to breathe, while probably looking like a maniac.
He was almost on top of me, his lips a
few inches away from mine as his eyes held mine. It wasn't really awkward. Until we heard a cough from someone that is.
I pushed Manik off in a rush, making him fall off the bed, only to find Cabir
standing there with a smirk.
He gave a hand to Manik and helped him up.
"Sorry to disturb you... lo-o-vebirds..." he went on, ignoring the death glare he was receiving from Manik and I.
"You know next time, you should close your door. Or hang a sock of something, if you know what I mean," he winked to me.
"Cabirrr!" I screamed aloud, throwing the pillow on him.
"Shut up Cabir!" Manik also joined me, to which Cabir just laughed. "Anyway, let's go guys! I just came to call you both. It's ten to 12!"
I got up and walked out as Manik held
the door open for me. As I headed to
Dhruv's room, I heard a punch, which
was soon followed by a groan, behind
me.
I smiled to myself as I entered Dhruv's
room, only to be awed at the sight in
front of me.