No More Quarters

The stench of fish and the ocean’s breath became potent as my bare feet scraped against the wooden pier, and the fatty, mouthwatering temptations of Mama Autumn’s Burgers became fainter. I was close to home.

            The sun held my face in his hands and my loose clothing draped over my body, cooling me like a waterfall. It was another toy for the winds to play with. Like a curious child it wandered, exploring every nook and cranny and fiddling with loose objects. It was constantly lectured by people and objects alike, who constantly protested its mischievous antics.

            “Excuse me?” I felt a tugging on my skirt, and looked down, no longer inhaling my burger. “Do you have a quarter?”

            A boy, with matted hair and tattered clothes clutched my skirt, his other hand sitting solemnly in his mouth. The whiteness of his eyes stood out against the dirt that layered his face. His voice was barely above a squeaky, raspy whisper, as if only touched by the dry hands of sea spray. I recognized him as one of the homeless children Mama Autumn feeds for free, as long as they don’t disturb any of the costumers. Although, he was constantly scolded for begging and asking for a few quarters and exploring the various places on the pier.

            “No, I’m sorry, I don’t have a quarter,” I began, searching through my wallet. His face fell, and his grip on my clothes loosened, leaving a small wrinkle. “Nope, I have four quarters. Here you go, I don’t need them,” I finished, pulling them out of and placing them into his palm. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as his dark eyes sparkled. I smiled.

            “Thank you, ma’am!” he turned on his heel, but I caught him by the shoulder. “Now, don’t you think I’m just going to let you keep those quarters, because I know that the machine will just eat them up. Now you have to do be a big favor, okay?”

            He cocked an eyebrow and held the quarters to his chest, his eyes hungry to feast upon the sights the rentable telescopes could provide him. I watched him ask for the quarters everyday so he can, “See the dolphins.” I never gave it much thought before.

            “Have you ever seen dolphins before?” I asked, crossing my arms.

            The boy grinned and nodded his head.

            “Have you ever swam with dolphins before?” I inquired further. His rug of hair flopped over his forehead as the thought occurred to him.

            “Well then, today is your lucky day,” I grabbed his hand and led him onto the beach. Wiggling his toes in the sand, he shuffled toward the tide, a broad grin playing onto his face. He stood for a bit, testing the water, until he finally ran out to the sea, screaming his head off, hair bouncing and tongue hanging out of his mouth like a dog. I had to strain my legs to catch him.

            Soon enough we were far out into the water, constantly swallowing and choking on the salty waves, or what the little boy, who I later named Aeolus, for he claimed he had no name, called “fish poop.” I pursed my lips and wrinkled my nose, a bit of innocence lost from the ocean.

            “What’s that?” Aeolus asked, looking beneath the blanket of water as he sat on my shoulders. His legs and bottom were bony and I let out a yelp as he shifted his weight.

            “What’s what?” I grunted. He tugged on my brown hair and poked me in the eye as he leaned forward. “Aeolus,” I warned, attempting to ignore the stinging sensation that left my eyes watery.

            “Aeolus? What does that mean?” he was swaying now, and I was tripping over my feet.

            “Well, Aeolus was a god. A god of the winds,” I answered.

            “Why did you name me that?” I didn’t open my mouth or try to answer. Besides, his foot was making it impossible to get any words out.

            The rest of the day was spent choking on “fish poop,” burying each other in the sand, leaping over the waves. By the time the sun began to set, we were on the shore. We both enjoyed the smoothies I bought, tropical fruit traveling down my throat and awakening the taste buds, who were infected by the salty water. Aeolus decided he wanted his whole face to experience the wonder of foreign food, leaving me with a sticky mess and furrowed brows.

            My chest heaved up and down as I sat on the dampened bed of sand, by hair tangled and dry. Aeolus was still enjoying himself, and I contented myself with observing him. I served a sigh, accompanied with a side of chuckling and smiles.

            I sat and watched as the wind played with his hair, ruffling it. I imagined nobody had done that to him in a while. I then witness the water lapping graciously at his dirty and callused feet, like a puppy who likes to lick toes. He went in further.

            While I was observing such beauty, voices filled the air with a soft song, emanating throughout the area, the sound was familiar to me, my already aching cheeks rose into a grin and I looked over at the little boy standing next to me. I may have already seen and experienced them, but Aeolus had never swam with dolphins before.

            Soon, he had added his voice to the gentle choir, laughing and giggling as he ran out to greet them. I ran after him, ignoring my protesting aches. I would never witness them again.

            We couldn’t get too far out, but Aeolus was satisfied with sitting on my shoulders and waving at the majestic beasts. His tongue lolled out of his mouth, his hand moving furiously back and forth.

            My shoulders sighed as his weight was lifted off of my shoulders, and silky water was covered me as he splashed into the ocean. I began combing through his hair; dry and thin strands alike intertwining with my fingers. I saw why the wind liked playing with it.

            Hmm, wind. Wind. Aeolus. My eyes wandered over to the mirthful and curious boy before me. A lively spirit who was denied everything he wanted, except for the very few creatures that enjoyed his company. A tingling sensation ran through my body as his name clicked. Perfection.

            Everything I saw disappeared as I closed my eyes, blackness inhabiting my physical sight, but colors and scenes rushed in and rolled away like a violent tide. Ancient but strong emotions floating and dancing, curious winds that wanted to delve into the land. Pink and orange hues stood still against the horizon as I felt my tangled locks twist and fly. The sensation of rough, yet caressing arms wrapped around me in a protective security. Songs swam through my ears in a harmonious melody as the memory of dolphins began to arise. Smooth metal slid against the flesh of my palm as I dropped the last of my money into the ocean.

            Then every sensation, aspect, and entity of my seven-year-old reminiscence faded and I opened my eyes to witness this seven-year-olds experience. The winds of emotions remained, though.

            Aeolus captured the true essence of happiness in that moment. He forgot about being homeless and asking for money. He didn’t notice his lack of necessities. He found the same thing I did when I was in his shoes ten years ago. I saw a shiny object fall from his hand into the water, slowly floating down onto the bed below. I smiled.

            We don’t need quarters anymore.