Mrs. Thornton.

Hey, new chapter! Umm… Yes, I would not be able to do it without incredible editor  soccer4fc, LittleBeth-S. I would also like to thank Kayran for all the help she was able to give so far, even if real life demands become overwhelming.

Anyway, here it goes:

.

Error of Judgement

By Ikuko

.

Part 7. Mrs. Thornton.

.

Thornton looked at his old teacher with heavy anticipation. The man had a theatrical talent, probably essential for any good public speaker, but at the moment his indecipherable expression was torture for Thornton.

‘As amusing as it is to see you nervous, John, and a rare occasion, too…’

Thornton had an ally though: Margaret, noticing his tense face, gave him a little nod of comfort. Thornton signed with relief.

‘Sir you can make anyone nervous.’

The bishop probably sensed the little communication and smiled

 ‘Why, thank you. I consider it a great advantage in my work. You, however, were always a little harder than most, even as a young boy back at Rugby. Except for that occasion when the goat inadvertently turned up in Mr. Andrews’ wardrobe…’ the Bishop raised his hand to stop Thornton from objecting. ‘Yes, I remember, you said it got lost.’

Thornton could feel the disbelieving glances of Margaret and Mr. Tully on himself, but he held his eyes steadily trained on Bishop’s face. The Bishop smiled again warmly. ‘In any case, there is no point in games. John, I admit, I could not quite give you the credit yesterday.’

‘And today?’ asked Thornton warily.

‘Today I don’t believe you gave enough credit to this young lady,’ smiled the Bishop.

Thornton persisted:

‘Will you marry us?’

‘Yes. I have every reason to believe that your mutual devotion is steady and of long standing. However much you have stumbled along your way, your goal was true, and I would be honoured to welcome you to your new state of matrimony. Well, let us get started, I have issued the license,' he waved a sheet of paper filled with his slanted script. 'I am sure Reverend Tully is kind enough to take care of the rest of registration formalities. Mr. Tully, I think you can bring the registry now.’ Mr. Tully disappeared in the vestry and returned with the large book in dark binding. While he was busy entering the names of the new couple, the Bishop continued conversationally:

‘I suppose there is some justice. Take heart. Consider your financial troubles are a token compensation for what you gain here, so that other mortals would not be tempted with excessive envy.’ Thornton grinned wryly, while Mrs. Thornton pulled herself up in haughty disapproval. However, she refrained from saying anything.

‘Do you have rings?’ the Bishop asked suddenly.

‘No.’ He had not thought about it. He looked at Margaret from the corner of his eye, but she seemed perfectly unperturbed.

‘Ah. Is there anyone to give the bride away?’

Thornton knew his old teacher. Everything was a test, the old man's sharp eyes managed to see the reactions of everyone. They did not miss Mr. Tully's face arranging into a kindly smile of benevolence in preparation to accept the charge, and how it soured slightly when Margaret turned to Nicholas Higgins in his worn and stained fustian; nor did it go unnoticed Higgins' embarrassment and near-panic, that forced him to retreat along the passage from the unexpected honour.