Chapter Five

30 Minute Break by The Luka State

Watch the music video because Thomas Sangster is in it. [Heart Eye Emoji]
______________________________

The wild dreams were a reoccurrence. Every night, Adeline's mother would wake up in shock. Sweat dripping down her forehead, heart beating irregularly. She felt intensely depressed and angry at herself or for the boy in her dreams. He lived such a terrible life.

"Eat it, fag! Eat it!"

He tightened his lips and shook his head, struggling in the grip of the kid above him.

"Fucking eat it or I'll make you!"

It was pouring down on them hard. A terrible day for an outdoor field trip. He desperately wanted his mother to chaperone, but she declined, stating she could barely tolerate him let alone twenty more. Now, the rain was pelting their skin and he was currently being pinned to the ground, a hand full of mud waving in his face. He could see a worm squirming in the dirty palm.

He pushed his head away, but before he knew it, his mouth was forced open. The taste was vile and disgusting. They pushed his jaw shut and he whined as he bit into the poor worm. He tried spitting it out, but a hand covered his mouth before he could. He tried blocking out the laughter. He couldn't.

"What is going on? Break it up! Break it up!" His teacher caught onto the scene and pulled everyone away. When the hand slipped from his mouth, he violently choked and spit out the mud, the dead worm. He heard his teacher sigh as she helped him up off the muddy ground. His parents were called and told of the accident. They had to pick him up at the park.

He sat on the bench and waited. He waited and waited and waited. Eventually, he stood up and began his walk toward home. It was still raining hard and he could barely see what was ahead. It came to a point where he almost lost his way back, but soon found his house. His dirty, messy, rusty house.

"You missed dinner," His mother stated as she broke away from kissing the mysterious man on their couch. He ignored it and trudged up the stairs, changed into his pajamas, brushed his teeth and fell into bed.

"Take me," He whispered, staring up at his ceiling. "Please, take me." He closed his eyes and rolled on his side. Then, the moans and thumping began. He quickly covered his ears, not wanting to listen to his mother's affair. He hummed loudly, his favorite song. His favorite lullaby. He passed out around eleven at night, waking up at one in the morning when his parents started shouting at each other.

+ + +

"Why do you look so sad, Harry?" Addie asked as she played with her toy set. Harry sat across from her, watching with a deep frown on his face.

"I. . ." He paused and looked around the familiar room. Anger and fear sparked his senses and he turned back to face Adeline. "I just don't want to lose you, Addie."