The Midnight Rollercoaster

There's an abandoned amusement park right outside of town.

There's rollercoasters and carousels and a ferris wheel that lets you see all of the mountains and hills surround the small, little town. But from there, you can see the stars shine above, the magnificent graze of the horizon disappear and the scatter of constellations take you to a whole new world. It's beautiful up there–Elodie is a sucker for beautiful things and Masen knew that.

At first, she was resistant to going. Her parents wouldn't let her stay out so late, but he convinced her to sneak out, to take the window on the second floor and jump, promising he'll be down there to catch her. And by the side of her house, he waits, hands stuffed in the pockets of his hoodie with splashes of darkened sandy-brown hair swiping across his eyes, the luminance of blue shining with the moon light and he has to blink once, even twice, for them to disappear. Elodie would question them for sure–she questions everything; especially her choices.

The wind is cold this evening, feeling the brush flush her ever-so pale cheeks, turning them a scarlet red that can't be seen in the moonlight. Her raven hair still shines, surprisingly, the magnificent mane of darkness glisten under the night sky and radiates despite struggling on her roof. She's always been told Masen was a weird kid. They told her to stay away–that if she wanted to keep her popularity she should stay away from him.

But among other things, she gave it all up for him; for the weird boy who's nothing like the other boys considered popular and all about social status; for the boy who has weird scars on his arms, who lets his tears be known to the world and isn't ashamed of who he is, or how much he loves Elodie. It's what keeps her going on the roof, her legs shaking but she catches sight of his flash of sandy hair and her heart soars, practically ready to jump for the moon.

"Jump," Masen whispers, but it sounds like a beautiful yell to Elodie. "I'm here to catch you." He promises, arms outstretched and Elodie prays he can. Masen is much taller than her, and he's got calves as strong as a bull, but still, she's insecure and worried for the significant and sudden weight soon to be bestowed upon his skinny arms.

"Are you?" Elodie asks, but she already knows the answer. It's clear in those shining blue irises of his.

He nods as reassurance, his soft smile illuminating his features and Elodie takes one, slow, hesitant breath before she feels the floor disappear from her feet and she's in the air for a good few seconds and arms hold her close to a body so warm. Yet when his fingers slip past her hoodie and under her shirt, she can feel just how cold he is–almost like death. Almost.

Elodie doesn't open her eyes, she's still horrified, eyes shut tight and her body still shakes. So does Masen's–but it's because he's laughing, still holding Elodie's smaller body close to his own. "Would it be cheesy to say I'll always be there to catch you when you fall?" How many times has he used that line on her? Thirty? Forty? Elodie stopped keeping count after the fifteenth time, and he may over use it, but she loves it, she loves the constant reminder of how they met. She fell for him–figuratively and literally. And she'd do it a thousand times again; she'd give up another thousand things just to be with him again and again and again.

"Lets just go," Elodie urges, her voice soft in a whisper as her honey-brown eyes gaze up lovingly at Masen, a grin showing her teeth and he can see that crooked tooth she hates oh-so much, but Masen always found it cute on her. "I want to hear more about this...rollercoaster of yours."

Ah yes, the rollercoaster. Masen's body practically shivers in delight at the plans he has for their evening tonight. He lets her feet touch the ground, and Elodie's head reaches his shoulder, making her a perfect height for him to sling his arm around her shoulders, holding her tight to his side before he leads her to his pretty little motorcycle. An old thing it is, but he had it fixed up by some...old friends.