fifteen

"alex, i-i can explain," michael rushed to say, glancing from luke to his friend with worry locked in his green eyes. alex just rolled his eyes and unlocked the stall door, letting ashton come in. the wavy haired boy poked his head in and frowned uneasily when he saw how close luke and michael were to each other.

"luke? c'mon, you're better than this," ashton frowned, his gaze flickering between luke and michael. out of habit, the black haired boy began to gnaw on his nails anxiously, completely forgetting that if he were to do so then brooks would proceed to ignore him.

"i can't believe this, mike-"

"wait, hold on," luke interrupted alex hastily, his fiery blue eyes set firmly on ashton, "what the fuck do you mean, i'm better than this?"

"better than having an affair with someone who's gonna get fucking married," ashton replied somewhat angrily, glancing quickly to alex, "yes, me and him are having an affair, but it's fine because neither of us are in a relationship. meanwhile, he's gonna get married and you're fucking a whole lot more-"

"you wouldn't understand," luke blurted out, keeping ashton from sputtering out that last sentence, "nobody understands our relationship except for us, so kindly fuck off."

"luke, i'm your best friend," ashton said with a roll of his hazel eyes, "i'm just trying to help you out here. imagine if his fiancé found out that michael was having sex with you. don't you think his first instinct would be to hunt you down and beat you up?"

michael stayed quiet, because to be honest he was sure brooks would do that if he found out that michael had constantly lied to him over and over, and failed to tell him that he was in love with his boss.

"i can take care of myself, ash," luke spat angrily, "i don't need you watching over me like a little kid. i know what i'm doing, and i don't give a shit about his fiancé, except for that he gets to see michael, kiss michael, hug michael- all of the things that i want to do freely with michael."

"michael, we need to talk," alex said sharply, reaching out to grasp michael's wrist and pull the shorter boy away from the warmth of luke's body. michael allowed his friend to pull him out of the bathroom, but then tugged his wrist out of alex's grip once they began to wait for the elevator.

"i can't fucking believe you," alex said angrily, tapping his foot against the carpeted floor impatiently, "you were the last person i expected to have an affair with that bastard."

"i-i think i c-could have a f-future with h-him," michael replied softly, still chewing on his nails but trying not to bite them down all the way. at his words, alex exasperatedly ran his fingers through his messy hair and just shook his head.

"fucking hell, no you can't," alex gave michael an angry look and repeated loudly, "there's no way you could like him. he's a terrible person and i hate working for him, but i have to because he pays well. but get this through your naïve head, michael— there's no way that luke would want a future with you. he's probably just using you but you're too oblivious to tell."

"he i-isn't using m-me," was michael's only reply, keeping his gaze on the floor as the two got in the elevator, "y-you can say whatever you w-want, but nothing c-can keep me f-from saying th-that i like h-him."

"how about the fact that you have a fucking fiancé you're getting married to?" alex sputtered, pressing the first floor button as the elevator doors closed, "i'm sure luke is just using you for sex or something, and you're being unfaithful to brooks with a fucking sociopath."