Origins

The sky shines as if happy to see such a lovely spring day. A young girl is seen bounding a dusty, unpaved road. She appears to be  fourteen years old and has short,dirty brown hair, and wears a backpack, and is holding a folder. Her brown eyes are focused on a lonesome house hidden behind  bushes and brambles. She makes  her way toward it. She ascends the stairs and enters, quickly closing the door after her.

"Serena!," A voice yells,"Is that you?".

"Yeah Mom, it's me!" Serena replies.

Soon, footsteps are heard when Peter, Serena younger brother, and Jenna, the sparky beagle owned by Peter, eagerly totter towards the front of the house to greet Serena.

"Rena!Rena is home!" The toddler shouts, attaching himself to Serena 's leg in a hug. Jenna barks as if to confirm it.

Serena picks up Peter,and walks into the kitchen, with Jenna hot on their tail, to see her mother busying herself by slicing various ingredients and adding them to a bubbling, savory pot of stew.

"I'm home, " Serena beams, puts Peter down and holds out the folder,"I made a perfect score on my math test!".

Mom turns around and surveys the paper nodding.

"Great job!" Her mother says, pulling Serena into a tight embrace.

**********************************************************

They all sat at the rectangular, wooden dinner table eating the viscous stew their mother made. Mom sat at the head, Peter  sat in his high chair with Jenna at his side, and Serena sat on the opposite side.

"Mom, where daddy go?" Peter asks,breaking the  silence. Serena stares at Peter as if he had slapped their mother,but secretly wanted to know the truth. Her mother had always told her that her father died in the recent war, but she always thought that wasn't the full truth.

"Why do you ask, did I you  hear something?" She expectantly  turned her gaze toward Serena who put her hands up in defense and shook her head. Peter just shrugged in response and looked back at his mother.

All was quiet until another voice broke the silence. This voice was Serena's.

"Can we just know a little bit about him? Maybe a story?" Serena asked  shyly.