Chapter One - Faith

Martha Jones clasped hands with her husband as they scuttled towards the Shard. They were on a mission from Torchwood, an organisation they had joined shortly after their last encounter with the Doctor, they had decided to help him in any way they could.

Now, after learning of a company called ‘The Great Intelligence’, the couple were sent out to stop the person behind the trouble: the trouble of all the uploading of souls onto the internet.

However to defeat this army, they were only armed with a life form detector and a laser gun put together.

However, Mickey, Martha's husband, was more enthusiastic than her at the thought of stopping villains. After being with Martha, he shared her views on saving lives very strongly.

At first he had been annoyed with the Doctor for being involved in trapping his ex - girlfriend in a parallel universe - but now, he realised (as cheesy as it sounds) that he would've never met Martha without him. They were the perfect couple, different personalities but same interests that complimented each other perfectly.

And they both were up to violently defeating enemies of Torchwood and The Doctor.

Martha and Mickey were creeping towards the 300m tall building when their life detectors abruptly wailed in unison. They glanced at each other before quickly typing a silencing code into the device. On the screen was a map of the area, alike to any other map of London; only on this map were hundreds of green specks, showing exactly where any life was in 250 square metres. From wandering cats to themselves, there were various sized circles emanating from the bodies depending on how strong their beings were.

As they studied the screen for the cause of the screech, the pair's expressions grew joyful. Because although the loud noise had attracted unwanted attention, it had been for a good reason; Judging by the information on the map, on the top of a nearby building was the biggest life force in the universe. Its life circle was so big it surrounded them, even though they weren’t that close. And their education in their tech didn’t fool them: they knew very well that the biggest circle possible was one that came from the TARDIS…

And they also knew that if the TARDIS was here, the Doctor was sure to be nearby too.

 ***

After scaling up the wall behind the building he was meant to be in, Mickey heaved himself up onto the roof. And there, in all its glory, was the TARDIS itself. Martha squeezed his arm as she gazed at the big blue box that had once taken her to see one of Shakespeare’s plays. A sense of nostalgia fizzled inside them both as they strolled towards the spaceship.

Mickey reached forward to rub the royal blue wood. The TARDIS seemed to hum deep within itself and give out a radiant light as he did so, and the sheer power of the ancient thing was overwhelming to them both. Martha smiled and backed away, pulling Mickey towards a rooftop café across the platform.

***

In the hustle and bustle of Creams, the coffee shop in central London, it was nearly impossible to try and find any individual person. As well as the warm interior of the shop, there was a balcony overlooking the city outside. 

The two decided to start there, as it had the fewest people. However, there was no sign of him: not a long brown coat anywhere. Mickey wrote down the description of the area around him whilst Martha pulled out two chairs from the last table on the row.

Martha glanced around. On the rooftop were only an old man sipping a mug of tea; a business woman with her hair in a tight bun and her laptop on her breifcase; and a young couple. The young couple consisted of a tall man in a bow tie, his brown hair ruffled by the wind as he spoke, and a fresh faced woman with long black hair, typing into her laptop opposite the man.

But no Doctor.