Two Bikes,Four Friends

CHAPTER 1

Sunday mornings always bring a smile on my face, the summery light of the golden hues blessing me through the window pane,I snuggled my feet under the blanket for that five more minutes of the deep slumber smiling at the thought of having the whole day for myself,the day of free-bird unlike the past few days of hectic schedule immersed in completing the so far procrastinated studies, project works and assignments.

The fumbled and rolled about for a few minutes before the traditional start of the day with the first look at little screen of my mobile,well my mother yelled to pray Almighty instead, I quickly remembered GOD FIRST and searched for the little idol over my computer table and gave a huge grin at the small never-changing idol and then drifted back to the amazing device in my hands, I checked for any new messages, dismay flooded my senses, the number of missed calls and messages that flooded in there ignited a feeling of panic! They were all from my friends. My heart stopped and raced at the same time...

How in the world did I miss all these?? Realization struck slowly of the switching to the silent mode during my studies, my brain was a complete mess and I couldn't dare move my fingers to open each message and read the text, I was insanely still. Perspiration evident from my sweat beads, I mustered up my courage to open them slowly, a click seemed to drag! The names..Apoorva, Swathi, Monika, Aman, Ahalya, ..there was a long list that flashed as I opened each of the messages, l heaved a sigh of relief followed by laughter for my coward and naïve nature..For god's sake how could I have forgotten my own birthday, it was 21st December and a Sunday, a Holiday.,HurrayJ

I drank a glass of water and with a broad smile read the messages with the wishes and also scolding's for not receiving their calls at mid-night. After reading all the messages I stood up from bed with a smile, my eyes longed to see my reflection in the mirror to admire the 18 year old me, only to find myself like a retard with 'I woke up now' face, but other than that I looked good with a dusky skin tone,5 feet tall and wavy hairs that turned into curls at the end just above my shoulders, I planned of chopping my hairs to a bob cut for my little face ,I needed look better hence I raced down the hallway to the bathroom to finish off the morning chores and turn myself to someone who is worth taking a look at.

"Happy birthday Ananya Prasad, what is this ?still not ready huh and what's with the cell-phone? Why didn't you receive my call?" it was my childhood friend and also neighbor Monika calling out. She had big round eyes that spoke more and a lengthy coal black hairs that rippled down her waist that was neatly braided every single day, she was someone whom all parents adored for her Indian dressing sense and the braid that brought her laurels and unwanted feeling of guilt in me.

"Easy Moni, one question at a time and thanks, I will not disappoint your curiosity ,but for now let me finish my morning human chores, meanwhile help yourself with some coffee" I screamed all the way till the bathroom.

After some time Monika was rolling with laughter listening to my morning story that she unwarily declared as a dumb-headed drama and I decided to put up a pouted face .

'Coward,hahaho..wcou..ld you b.e so.. dumb' her sentence was a long laughter with words, trying to make their space and sense. I had to wait for about 15 minutes for her to finish with her laughing session. Then for a while we discussed about the plans for the day, discussions constantly interfered with the calls of my disappointed birthday wishers, finally to soothe my hitched up friends I came up with a plan of going to a resort which was fairly about 30 kms from central Mysore as a treat for my b'day, as expected those buggers who resided in Mysore were all excited about the plan. A journey with my three closest friends started my day.