Chapter 1: Rex's Overture

Zeros by Razorbatz

Chapter 1: Rex's Overture

SLAP!

The sound echoed throughout the crowded mall hallway, drawing everyone's attention.

"I cant believe you are breaking up with me!" Alice was furious. Holding her hand from the pain of slapping Rex's face, she looked at him with a terrible death stare. "No one has ever broken up with me! No one! No one!"

She turned to walk away.

"Alice.." Rex reached out a hand to grab her but stopped before he did. He let her walk away.

He made his way back across the hall where Noah and I were waiting for him.

"I heard that echo throughout the whole city," Noah said, trying to contain his happiness. He never did like Alice and thought Rex deserved more. "So what was all that about anyway?"

"I broke up with her just like I said." He kept his head down as though upset, but couldn't hide the fact that this was a huge weight off his shoulders.

"She was just becoming more..well..demanding. She expected nothing less of me than to give her a ride to and from school, wait for her after volleyball practice, remember the exact tea she wanted, how it's made, and to get it for her every morning. She even wanted to make me stop fighting EVOs! It was exhausting! I could just feel my mind ripping! I couldn't handle it anymore." He let out a huge sigh of relief and raised his hands in triumph.

His temper had been getting worse ever since he started dating that girl, Alice. Sometimes it got so bad during missions that even Six had to get onto him about it. It didn't help, though, that EVO activities had been higher lately. And Providence had us pulling sleepless nights like clockwork the last few weeks.

Once the conversation was over, we all headed off to a nearby burger joint that Noah recommended. As we walked in I noticed Alice sitting alone near the back and nudged Rex. As it turned out, another guy also spotted her and began making his way over.

"Come on Rex, its not your problem anymore." Noah said directing our attention away from Alice and the guy. He led us to a booth close to the entrance. "Let him deal with her now. You said she was too high maintenance for her own good anyways."

"I didn't say that! I just said she was exhausting. I still wanted to be friends but she took it harder than I thought." We both sat down with Noah and started eating.

Not long after, however, Rex found himself looking over at Alice again. Alice and the guy both were now standing and were in, what looked like, a very heated argument. He must have said something to offend her because she raised a hand to slap him, but he caught her forearm and tried to lean in to kiss her. She tried to pull away but he threw her to the ground.

"I'll take care of this." I said getting up and walking over.

"Can I help you with something loser?" The guy asked as I faced him eye-to-eye.

Ignoring him I bent down and helped Alice to her feet.

"Watch it loser. Don't turn your back on me." He growled. Irritated he shoved me and returned to Alice. Without missing a beat, I shoved him back and proceeded to choke him out. Laughing, he tossed me into Alice.

"You really wanna fight?" Walking around me Rex flicked his wrist, manifesting his BFS. His lip curled into a sort of snarl and he smiled.

"I ain't afraid of you, freak! You wanna fight? Lets go! Right here, right now!"

With both of them standing practically nose to nose, Noah walked up behind Rex, grabbed his shoulder and pushed him backwards away from the guy. "Calm down Rex."

He turned and faced the guy and poked a finger hard to his chest. "Quit trying to pick fights you can't win. We'd be salvaging you off the wall by now if I hadn't stopped my friend."

After Noah finished with him and Alice had left, we returned to find Rex in the deserted restaurant still with his sword out. His face was down and hidden and his sword dug into the floor leaving a very deep cut.

"Hey, calm yourself." I said punching him in the shoulder. "I don't want to drag your sulking butt off to Providence."

Rex forced a smile and put away the sword.

"That's more like it. I didn't know if we needed to get the wambulance down here or not." Noah joked patting him on the back.

"Thanks guys." Rex said following us outside.

"Anything for my two favorite Providence nuts." Noah said. "Speaking of which. I've got someone I'd like you two to meet. And after the whole event at the restaurant, I'll say it's the best time."

"Who is it?" I asked.

"Come by my house tomorrow and find out."

Rex shrugged. "As long as it's not anything like dealing with Alice. I'm game. What about you Seth?"

"Sure, I guess so."

"Great!" Noah high-fived us. "You won't regret this."