Chapter 1

I circled the small parking lot another time, cursing myself for waking up late again, making me lose my usual spot. I finally found a spot in the way back. Grabbing my backpack, I hopped out of the car and locked my small silver Honda Civic. I could already feel the heat of the humid California air as I jogged past BMW’s and Mercedes toward the looming white building before me, which was filled with people I hated and information I wouldn’t need to know in the real world. When I finally opened the large double doors, I heard the late bell ring. I sighed.

The only thing I had to look forward to was the fact that it was Friday, which meant I could be set free from my parents for a bit and escape to the dance studio for a few hours. Dancing allowed me to escape from the tedious parts of life that I couldn’t wait to leave once I graduated high school. Tedious parts, meaning my overbearing parents who expected me to be the good girl who followed every single ridiculous rule that gave me no freedom to express who I really was. They wanted me to wear expensive uncomfortable dresses and talk to their boring rich friends. I didn’t want to be a part of a life where everything was handed to me. I wanted to be an individual and not a copy of my parents who acted snooty and important. When I danced with my crew and choreographed new routines, I let all of that go and I found myself. My body moved with the music as the beat showed me the next move. I didn’t have to think; I just knew what to do and that was probably the best part of it all.

I hated going to school. Most subjects came easy to me, though, so I usually did well on my report cards, but I always felt like it didn’t matter. I felt like there was so much more of the world to explore and I was just wasting my time sitting in a desk learning about it through a history book. Hip-hop showed me a different part of the world while staying in my small, close-minded town. I was exposed to a whole other culture that my parents didn’t respect or understand, which is why I had to keep my passion a secret and deal with the regular life of school and pleasing them so they didn’t pester me too often.

I finally reached my locker and spun the lock to my combination. When I tried to pull the lock, it wouldn’t budge. I groaned, spinning the combination again. Today was going to be a long day.

***

I plopped down to my usual table at lunch, nodding to Chad who was already devouring his second slice of pizza. I pulled out my bagged sandwich from my backpack. At least I remembered to bring lunch today instead of getting stuck with the salted cardboard they called lunch here are Newbridge Academy. 

"Where were you this morning?" Avery glared at me accusingly as she sat down across from me. Her eyes were wide and her eyebrows raised expectantly, waiting for me to answer. 

"I woke up late again. I feel so disoriented today." I answered then took a bite of my peanut butter and Nutella sandwich, the only good part of my day so far. “Why does it matter, anyway?” My voice was muffled by the bite I just took. My mom would probably comment on how ladylike I was behaving. How dare me.  

"Were you up all night choreographing again?" she ignored my question.

I finally swallowed and coughed. “No.” I hung my head sheepishly to avoid meeting her eyes. 

"Olivia!" she started to scold, but was interrupted by Kevin as he got closer to the table.

"What’s going on today, ladies?" His girlfriend, Pepper, followed behind shortly, her cheeks flushed. 

"Someone's in a good mood today," Avery noted. 

"Of course I am, I'm so pumped for tonight. That routine is sick, Liv. We totally have to film it tonight!" His voice started to get louder.