Chapters 2-4

Chapter 2 Her

I lie on my back, staring at my ceiling. I should've gotten up a long time ago, but I can't will myself to leave the comfort and safety of my bed. I hoped I would have longer than a month to prepare for this barrage of activity, but today's the day. They'll be setting up on Main Street. I take a deep breath and remind myself that these people don't know me. They won't even pay attention to me. I'm just another face in the crowd.

I force myself to get up and take a shower, trying to convince myself that this is an ordinary day. I'll follow my normal routine and everything will be fine.

An hour later as I walk down the sidewalk to the shop, I stop in my tracks. My stomach flips, and I feel a wave of nausea hit me. Ahead of me are throngs of trucks, cars, people, and equipment. I hurry to the store and quickly let myself in. Melissa and Sammy are already inside, peeking out the window.

"Morning," I greet.

Melissa turns to me, grinning. "His trailer is right over there," she says, pointing. I look outside to see the temporary building across the street near the park. His name is painted in huge silver letters on the side of it. "Antonio Russo isn't actually in town yet," Melissa adds. "They said he'll be here around lunchtime."

"Oh, goodie."

"Be sarcastic if you want," Sammy says, "but I for one am super excited to see him in real life. I've seen all his movies, and this one is supposed to be really good."

Melissa nudges Sammy's arm. "Just remember, he's into girls."

"So you think," he says and winks. "You never know with the pretty boys."

"Can we talk about something else please?" I chime in. "We have a lot to do today. We need to tear down Valentine's Day." Ignoring the shared glances of my employees, I walk to the back and remove my coat. Sitting down at my desk, I sigh. I can't shake the nerves that have set in as soon as I saw the movie set coming to life. It will only be worse when the stars get here. All I can do at this point is try to avoid it and focus on my work. So far, that plan has worked for me.

After lunch, I start setting up a display of new fiction books. The town square out front is filled with just about every town resident. Everyone but me. Even the kids were let out of school to catch a glimpse of a celebrity. I shake my head. I'm not impressed. I know just how bad things can get.

Ignoring the crowd noise out front, I focus on my task. Picking up the next book, I flip it over to read the back, when the door jingles. I look up, but see no one there.

"Melissa? Sammy?" I call out, not expecting them to answer. They went outside a while ago. Hearing nothing, I return to stacking books, but swear I see something move out of the corner of my eye. I stand up and look around seeing nothing. When I turn back around, I scream.

"I'm so sorry," the man in front of me says from behind a stack of books.

Clutching my chest, I gasp out my questions. "How did you get in here? Who are you?" As my breathing calms, I realize exactly who it is.

"I didn't mean to startle you. I just needed a minute before I faced the crowd, and this was the first place I saw that I could duck into."

He extends his hand while I just stare at him. Tiny pictures on a cell phone do not do the man justice. He is spectacular. So tall and tan and...fuck.

"Miss, are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah." I shake my head. "I'm fine. I just didn't see you come in."

His hand still hangs in the air waiting for mine. I take it and immediately feel like jelly inside. Fucking jelly. He's dangerous. My thoughts of self protection are running out the door yelling back at me to do whatever I can to keep his hand in mine. I haven't felt like this, well, ever. It scares the shit out of me.