Chapter 21: The Battle of Hogwarts

Emma began back towards the hallway where she had left Draco. She had only taken a few steps within the castle when she heard an explosive noise. Pieces of the shield around the castle began falling in. She took a few more steps before an even more explosive noise erupted. She looked up to see the shield disappearing. She took a few more steps forward and suddenly the wall behind her exploded. She threw up a shield to protect herself from flying debris, then broke into a sprint down the hallway.

Another portion of the wall exploded in front of her, and he ran to a balcony overlooking the wood that led into the Forbidden Forest. The Snatcher army was running across the bridge, following Neville, as it suddenly began exploding. Neville was just far enough ahead that he managed to make it. Emma ran along another hallway and up another staircase, with walls exploding and shrapnel flying everywhere, up more stairs, through another corridor, and now even some spells flew past her head, until she finally came back to the hallway where she had left Draco.

She found that he was gone. The etchings on the door into the Room of Requirements were glowing. It wasn’t the way that they usually did; they were glowing yellow instead of brown. She closed her eyes and thought I need to find Draco.

The doors swung open again and she stepped inside. It was a mistake. She found herself face to face with a wall of fire. She jumped back and pointed her wand at it. Her heart sank; if Draco really was in there, he was dead.

Suddenly, two large objects whizzed past her head, followed shortly by a third. The doors of the room slammed shut.

Emma turned to find Harry, Ron, Hermione, Draco and Blaise coughing on the floor.

“What the hell happened!” Emma exclaimed. She grabbed Draco and pulled him to his feet, dusting off his clothes and patting down his hair. He had soot and burns on his hands from climbing up the stack of chairs and other discarded furniture.

“Are you okay?” she asked, holding onto his arms. “Are you hurt at all?”

“No, no I'm fine,” he told her, taking her face in his hands.  

“Are you sure?” she asked.

“Yeah I’m…. Wait… where is Crabbe?” he asked, turning to Harry.

“Dead,” spit Ron. “You should be too!”

Emma shifted Draco behind her and took a step back.

“Emma, you were right,” said Harry. “You were right about the Horcrux being in the school.”

“You have the other ones?” she asked. “How many have you gotten and which ones?” she asked.

Harry seemed suspicious for a few moments, but then began listing them off.

“I got Tom Riddle’s diary a long time ago. Then there was Gaunt’s ring, but that’s destroyed, too. We got Slytherin’s locket…”

“Hermione and I got the cup,” Ron interjected.

“Yeah, Hufflepuff’s cup,” Harry said, then looked down at the diadem. It was tarred and he went to hand it to Hermione, but it began vibrating and broke apart in his hands.

“Fiendfyre!” Hermione and Emma exclaimed at the same time.

“What?”

“Fiendfyre,” Hermione repeated. “It’s cursed fire. It’s one of the ways to destroy Horcruxes, but it’s extremely dangerous and I would never try it myself.”

“What happened?” asked Emma.

“Crabbe cast a spell, I guess the one that makes Feindfyre,” said Draco. “The Carrows taught us some spells like that, really dark magic that you're never ever supposed to use. But Crabbe wasn’t paying attention when they taught the countercurse…”