1

I'm still not entirely sure how Alice and I became friends.

It kind of... Just happened.

It might have had something to do with the fact that both of us were new to our high school, coincidentally both joining on the same day.

A random day in the middle of October.

A day when both of our lives changed.

I say for the better, but Alice likes to tease that her future crumbled away the day she met me.

And frankly, I can't argue with that.

I was in a pretty good mood, walking down the sidewalk, kicking piles of orange and red leaves away from my path, and humming to myself. Autumn is my favorite season. It always will be.

I was more than happy to kiss goodbye the sorry excuse of a school that I had left the previous week. The dying lawn out front was littered with trash. The outside and inside of the school was covered in graffiti. There wasn't a student there who cared about their schooling and I didn't have a single friend.

Don't get me wrong by this, I'm not a nerd. I don't have very good grades, but that doesn't mean I don't try. I have a terrible case of dyslexia. I can't read or do math to save my life.

But I tried 100 times harder than any other person in that wretched school.

My parents realized the situation, and immediately pulled me out of it, transferring me into this new private school with a supposed great program for dyslexic kids.

I, for once, thought that maybe there was hope for me.

As I pondered all of this, my mind drifted away from the route that my father had specifically laid out for me. I am terrible with directions. The realization hit me like a truck. I had no idea where I was.

I cursed to myself as I spun around, completely and utterly lost. My hands patted my pockets and I pulled out my phone. I read the top of the screen.

No service.

I cursed yet again, and looked back the way I had been walking. Maybe I could retrace my steps?

This seemed like the best option. I started to head back, trying to keep my hyperactive mind on track. I stared down at my Vans sneakers and kept walking.

Suddenly I slammed into someone.

They let out a small Yelp and my head shot up, an apology on the edge of my lips.

"I am so sorry," I said, "I wasn't looking where I was going."

The stranger, a girl about my age with medium skin, brushed her dark hair out of her face. Her vibrant green eyes were filled with fear.

"I..." she squeaked. I had never seen a more frightened person in my life. "Sorry. It's not your fault."

"I think we were both distracted by other things," I said. She relaxed a bit. I stuck out my hand.

"Jade Morris," I said, trying to sound friendly. She gulped, weakly smiled, and took my hand.

"Alice Prince."

---

yay new story!!! this is part of the Originality Project by bateaux , one of the most talented authors I've seen on Wattpad. so I hope you all enjoy this new story, I'm excited to see where it goes!

#originalproject