3

That is the story of my beginnings with Alice.

That was 4 months ago.

So, back to present day.

I have been doing well in my classes. Thanks to the amazing program I was a part of, I can read so much better now. I am almost at Pre-Algebra level math, too. Alice is an amazing student. She is making perfect grades in all of her classes. I'm still trying to solve the mysteries of her social-awkwardness. I have made quite a few friends within my dyslexic program, but I'm pretty sure I'm Alice's only friend. We still walk to school together every day. Although, I barely know anything about her. I managed to urge out her favorite color (orange) and her favorite food (mashed potatoes). That's about it. I've tried to tell her about myself, in hopes that she'll tell me about herself.

Nothing. I've never thought that someone could be so difficult.

I think about this as I walk home from school. Autumn came and went, and it was on the brink of snowing on this insanely cold January day. I'm wearing a black marshmallow coat, a gray scarf, and a black oversized beanie in an effort to keep warm. Alice has a test to make up, so she's staying at school for a while. I managed to finally memorize the route home from school.

I have my headphones on and am singing a Panic! At The Disco song as I childishly stomp in rain puddles and spin around in circles.

"If you love me, let me g- oh!"

As I'm about to hit the final note, I come face to face with someone familiar.

"Oh, it's you. Hi, Al," I say, pulling off my headphones and flushing crimson. That's one of the many terrible things about having pale complexion: every emotion is readable through your skin. He laughs and adjusts his glasses.

"Hi, Jade," he says, then rifles through his bag, searching for something. He pulls out a wrinkled piece of paper, and hands it to me. Al's Sweet 16. He looks uncomfortable.

"I know Sweet 16's are kind of a girly thing, but ah, my parents kind of wanted me to have one. So, just text me if you can come," he said.

"Sounds good. Thanks, Al," I said, and continued on my way home.

---

"Back to the streets, where we began, feeling as good as lovers can, you know..."

My twin brother Donovan is scream-singing across the hall as he folds and puts away laundry. I hum along too as I make my bed. The morning light is streaming through my blinded windows.

"Jade, can I see your notebook?" he yells.

"Why? I have completely different cirriculum from you," I say, poking my head into his room.

"Yeah, but isn't it just reading and math that's different? The basic stuff's the same," he says, not looking up from his laundry. "I need science notes. Paul says that your guys' notes are easier." Paul is Donnie's friend from school. I swear, they are inseparable.

"Sure, but you know my handwriting is completely illegible," I say and look under my bed, pulling out the blue spiral-bound book. I bring it to him, and he flips through it.

"Sweet, thanks, sis," Donnie says and I lift an eyebrow.

"Donnie, if you lose that..." I say, elbowing his shoulder.

"Chill, Jade. I only need it for about an hour."

I walk back to my room, and look around the tidied-up room. It's Saturday, and I'm seeing a movie with Alice later. As always, I have to clean before going out. I go downstairs into the kitchen, and pour myself a cup of coffee that my mom had just brewed. She works in the library, and Saturdays are her early shift.

As I sip the warm and aromatic drink I go through the messages on my phone. I have a new message from Alice.

hi jade. sorry but I got a bad grade on a test so my parents won't let me come to the movie. i'm sorry :(

I groan and curse again. Alice probably got a B on the test, which is a sin in her parent's eyes. I finish the mug of coffee and go back upstairs. Donnie is talking to himself as he copies my simple notes into his laptop.

"Are you done yet?" I ask.

"Al-most... Done," he says, and spins his swivel chair to face me. He sees my disappointed look and makes an exaggerated frown.

"Did she cancel?" he says. He knows everything. I shrug and nod.

"It's not a big deal. I'm more upset about the fact her parents are such freaks," I say, running my fingers through my hair.

"What happened?" he asks, plugging his computer into the wall. The screen switches to his home page, adorned with a picture of him and his lacrosse team.

"She got a 'bad grade' on the test she took yesterday, and her parents flipped."

Donnie nods and yawns. He sits down on his bed and pats the space next to him. I join him.

"We have nothing to do today. Want to do a Star Trek marathon?" he asks.

"No. Star Wars. You and I both know it's ten times better," I say. I am a die hard Star Wars fan.

"No! Star Trek is and will always be the best science fiction movie series of all time," he says. Here we go. "Besides, there were twelve Star Trek movies."

"Quality over quantity!" I yell, and stand up. He jumps right up behind me.

"At least the Star Trek movies were in order!" he shoots right back. Ooh. That's a tough one to beat. I can't help but smile and giggle. He smiles too.

"If we can't agree, you can use my room," he says. I think about this, and nod.

"But you make the popcorn," he says with a sly grin. I laugh.

"Fair enough."

---

hey guys this chapter is probably completely irrelevant but whatever I just really wanted to rant about how Star Wars is better than Star Trek tbh