Chapter 5

"It's a pretty night," he said.

 Ivory gasped and turned slightly away from the stranger, the lose bits of hair hiding her face only a little

 "Oh. Um, yes it is." Her instinct told her to leave, walk back into the ball and act as if she had never entered the balcony in the first place. But that was her own instinct; not the souls.

 Where were the souls? They'd asked her to wait then just... Disappeared? The realisation dawned on her. This was not what she had been waiting for; this was just a coincidence.

 She felt the gaze of the stranger beside her and risked a quick glance. She couldn't seem to tear her eyes away. The person had dark, bronze hair, ignited perfectly by the vast moonlight and contrasting with his porcelain-like skin. His eyes, enclosed by thick, dark lashes, were a soft and warm brown and his smile caught her by surprise.

 She felt the colour rise rapidly in her cheeks. He met her gaze and looked back at her own beauty in astonishment.

  "I like your mask." He said. His voice was deep and warm and a light lustfulness hung on ever word.

 Ivory touched her face, her hands stroking the feathers and glitter that concealed the upper part of her face.

 "Thank you." She smiled.

  "Are you as pretty as that underneath?" The boy asked, looking at her with curiosity. More blood swirled under Ivory's skin and she looked away from the intensity of his eyes.

 "I-I don't think so." She breathed.

  "I'm sure you’re even prettier."

  "Well know I can't possibly take of my mask," she said. "In case I disappoint you."

 He laughed a genuine sound of warmth and friendliness. She felt her own mouth curve up in response.

 "What's your name?"

  Ivory opened her mouth to respond but closed it quickly as the words of Alice rang in her head. You are the princess. You are vulnerable. You must be protected. No matter how angelic his looks were and how sweet his words were, he was still a stranger. And Ivory wasn't stupid.

  But behind her mask, she felt bold.

 "See if you can guess." She teased with a smile. He rubbed his hands together, staring at her with mock solemnity.

  "Hmm. Something alluring, I expect. Castella? Rosalinda?"

 Ivory smiled at his guesses. "Nothing so fancy."

  "Nothing fancy," Considered the stranger. "Right. Anna? Kate? Sarah?"

  She laughed again. "Nope. Not even close. It begins with an 'I'" she enjoyed teasing the boy, making him think.

 "Isabella? Or Irene?"

 She shook her head, the curls brushing her cheek. "It's not a popular name." She said. Only the name of the princess she thought smugly. "You'll probably never guess it."

 "Then I give up." He sighed. "Can you guess my name?"

  "I couldn't possibly."

 "Oh, go on. I just made a fool of myself over your name."

  Ivory bit her lip for a moment and then suggested, "Alexander."

 "Nope." He grinned.

 "Edward?"

  "Wrong."

  "Daniel."

  "No."

 "Okay. Erm, what about... Jack. Or James?"

 The smile on his face faded and he stared at her in astonishment. "How'd you guess?"

 She laughed in pure amusement. "James? Well, James, I don't know. Lucky guess."

  "You have to tell me your name now." He smiled. She tightened her lips and shook her head.

 "Sorry." She shrugged.

 His laughter suddenly stopped and he reached out to touch her mask. "Show me. Please. Take it off."

 Ivory felt herself blush again. "Oh, I don't think-" she started but the boy, James, put his hand over hers unexpectedly.

 "Please," he said simply.

 Ivory was a lot of things but naïve wasn't one of them. This boy was handsome and seductive yet she was certain she was one of many girls he had charmed. As much as he was lustfully teasing her, she was teasing him, but she couldn't help but feel attracted to him, being drawn in by his voice, his face, his eyes...

 Alice wouldn't be happy, but she wasn’t there. With a sigh of defeat, she reached up to her mask and slid the scarlet ribbon over the back of her head. It slipped easily over her silky hair. Then she lifted off the mask.

 "You’re beautiful," James said softly. "Why are you hiding under a mask?"

  "It's a masked ball, remember?" She replied, her cheeks a similar shade as her dress.

  He shook his head. "You should never hide your face. It's too beautiful for the world to not see it."

 Ivory knew he was just being sweet but she couldn't stop herself from smiling as she looked at the ground. He was funny, charming, polite and handsome. Only one word seemed to describe him: perfect.

 His fingers lightly brushed her hand as he gently held it in his. "Would you care to dance with me?"

 Reluctantly, she pulled her hand away and gave him an apologetic look, meeting his chocolate brown eyes again. "Sorry. I don't think I can."

Before he could ask why, she turned and lifted the skirt of her crimson dress over her shoes as she walked towards the exit of the balcony. Taking off her mask had been a rebellious enough but dancing with him would have been unacceptable. She was the princess. She was vulnerable. She must be protected.

  She stopped by the curtains, still gently blowing, and looked back at the flawless night sky and the flawless boy stood near it.

 "Good night." Ivory said, locking eyes with him. "James." Then she turned and walked away, leaving James alone, confused and intrigued all at the same time. As she disguised herself once again with the mask, she tried to think of the reason why she couldn't stop smiling.