Prologue

Another brilliant morning smiles over the happiest kingdom on Earth, masterpiece of Walt's mind and communal crossroad of all the world's reverie. Excited guests pass through the hub in their different paths and purposes, many simply rushing through on more pressing errands toward adventures in lost jungle temples, trips into outer space, or drops over flumes of white water. Others stroll at an easier pace; calmly walking away toward Swiss alps or boat rides through miniature singing emissaries from a hundred countries and climes. Some wait in lines at brightly colored carts to buy popcorn, churros, or frozen bananas, and others procure balloons for exulting toddlers from a friendly cast member seemingly in danger of being carried away by the immense colored bouquet swaying over her. Still more cast members patrol the pristine curbsides with neat little brooms and snapping dust pans, and another dressed in yellow takes photographs of couples and families on the drawbridge of the castle.

Just beyond decorative black ironwork, water droplets from last night's sprinklers are still visible on the green leaves and orange flowers that landscape the peripheries as perfectly and essentially as the tempered architecture does the facades of the shops at the end of Main Street. The air itself is creamed in vanilla and buttered in popcorn. Happy sounds from a distant calliope accent perfectly the familiar din of the people, and if you listen carefully you can hear water in falls and fountains, and perhaps the sudden rush of a passing monorail.

Above and all around, standing as if sentinels against the pressing cold reality of the outside, witnesses of each and every precious year that has graced this sacred place, their branches cast like memory nets to keep the magic in, are the trees. 

In the midst of all this magic and wonderment, sitting on a bench not far from where Walt and Mickey stand waving back down Main Street, is a smart and bright older woman taking in all the scene around her. From a white paper bag she takes a small pillow pastry dusted in sugar, a beignet from the narrow streets of New Orleans Square. She takes a bite, crosses a leg over her knee and appears as content as anyone has ever been, even in this place. 

From the very top of Main Street at the ol' Carnation Corner begins the bouncy chords of a piano player...an old Disney ditty to which the woman cheerfully sings along-

Maybe then, and maybe there, we'll settle down and never care For flitterin', flitterin', flitterin' again

Presently she rises from her bench, brushes powder from her hands and pants, walks out of the hub and through the castle gates. She emerges on the far side and is faced with a sword in a stone and carousel of all rearing horses, but she turns left and enters a door with a sign reading "Cast Members Only". 

Beyond the door she walks down a long passageway that opens into a room with small lockers lining one wall, a couple of sofas side by side against the other beneath a bulletin board and assortment of schedules and notices. She busies herself at one locker when voices are heard coming from an opposite entryway, and then appear a couple of young women, one guiding the other and giving instructions- 

"Here is the locker room... I'll show you another later on in case these are all taken on a busy day or whatever."

Upon seeing the older woman she brightens and says-

"Good morning Rory! How are you today?"

The older woman smiles a happy, sincere smile and warmly replies, 

"Oh, wonderful Robin, thank you! New recruit?"

"Yes! Rory, this is Mindi, it's her first day." 

Rory holds Mindi's hand and in a sweet tone says-

"Welcome, Mindi, to the happiest place on earth! You're going to love it!"

"Thank you, it's always been my dream to work here!"

Rory looks deep into Mindi's eyes- 

"Well, this is where dreams come true! You believe that now, don't you?"

"Absolutely!"

"Good. So nice to meet you dear. Looking forward to seeing you soon! Let me know if you need anything."

Now attired in Fantasyland garb, she turns and walks back out the way she came in. When she's gone Mindi comments-

"She's a nice old lady!"

Robin nods and says- "She's actually one of the first Imagineers. She's been here forever." 

"Oh really?"

Robin continues- "Yeah, now she's kinda retired, but she says she never wants to stop working here, so she gets whatever schedule she wants. But she'll almost always trade with you or cover your shift if she can, and if nobody else has already asked her."

"Good to know."

Then Robin raises her eyes and asks-

"Think you'll still be here when you're that old?"

Mindi smiles and shrugs-

"Who knows? Maybe!"

Smiling,they both continue their orientation.

Just a moment later and Rory arrives at Peter Pan's Flight to relieve another much younger cast member from the controls. She seats herself on the stool and seamlessly transitions into directing guests into their private sailing ships with enthusiastic greetings for all.

"And here's your pirate ship! Happy sailing!"

"You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!"

Next in line is an older man and his very young granddaughter. A new ship complete with lantern and striped sails swings into place, and he tenderly guides her aboard.

Noting Rory's energy the little girl asks in a cute little voice-

"Is this your favorite ride?"

Rory is all to eager to reply-

"Yes it is! Is it yours?"

"Yes. It's my first time."

Both Rory and the grandfather smile.

"You know what?" Rory asks. I remember the very first time I went on this ride. It was July 14th, 1955. That was 60 years ago!"

"Oh wow!"

A pensive look passes over the grandfather's face, and he asks-

"I thought Disneyland opened on a July 17th".

Rory leans forward with a pixie smile and twinkle in her eye-

"You're right, it did!" Then sitting back she shouts-

"Now, off to Neverland!"

And with the press of a button she sends them soaring off into London's starry skies.