(V) "Tell Me Just What Will I do"

4 Years Later

May 15, 1987

1:12 a.m.

Los Angeles, California

     Some dreams one would wish to be fatidic.  Very often, Isabella Marquez would wish she could live out the repetitive dreams she had.  Singing in front of thousands of fans, millions if the world would allow it, her number one hit song.  Moving her body across the stage in ways no one knew was possible for her.  She wanted to break out and be free.

     And singing in front of thousands of people was something she had actually become accustomed to, along with it being a number one hit song of hers.

     But in these specific dreams, it was always a song from her English crossover album.

     On February 24th, 1987, she was the first Tejano singer to win a Grammy.  She won for Best Mexican-American Album.  Her record company, CBS Discos, felt it was a sign that she was ready to record her English album.  She was dominating the Latin charts with a number one album and receiving enough awards to show for all her hard work and growth.  She signed a deal with Epic, a subsidiary of CBS, and was finally recording her dream album by April of 87'.

     So when her phone rang at one o'clock in the morning, she knew it could've been anyone.  "Hello?"

     "Hey, beautiful.  It's Quincy."

     The sound of Quincy Jones' voice brought jumpy nerves.  She had been waiting for his call ever since she bumped into him at the Grammy's back in February.  Before then, she hadn't seen him since he was recording Thriller with Michael.  But he didn't even mention it.  Quincy kindly congratulated her on her win then went on to tell her he would love to work with her once she starts the crossover.

     To hear those words from such a prominent figure was pure jubilation for her and her family.  Quincy confessed to loving one of her songs and actually following her career.  He knew deep down that she was bound to do something great and he wanted to be a part of her debut to the world.

     Isabella's brother Pete was actually the one who gave Quincy the call and told him the great news about signing with Epic.

     "What are you doing?" he asked.  "And don't say sleeping."

     "Oh, never.  I'm up writing with my sister."

     "That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.  Because superstars don't sleep."

      They shared a laugh together.

     "I wanted to talk to you about the song I promised."

     "Oh, okay.  Cool."  Isabella was happy he didn't' forget her.

     "I've been real busy working with someone else right now but I think I might have something for you.  It's not exactly what you asked for but I think it'll work."

     Isabella looked at her sister suspiciously.

     "What?" Penelope asked.

     "All I asked for was a song," Isabella said to Quincy.

     "I know.  But I want to talk to you about it in person.  You think you can meet me somewhere right now?  You and Penny?"

     "Sure!"  One a.m. or not, this was Quincy Jones.  "Where are you?"

     "Westlake Studios.  Meet me at Studio D."

     "D?" she asked for clarification.

     "Yes, it's on 7265 Santa Monica Blvd.."