Prologue

"Sir, there is an issue in containment cell number 4," Hansel reported as soon as the door opened, his eyes wide from what he'd just seen. There weren't anyone else in the room besides Mr. Dane, actually, there weren't much of anything in the room besides Mr. Dane. There was a floor, a ceiling, and four walls. Yet, Mr. Dane seemed strangely captivated by something, so captivated in fact that it seemed he hadn't heard or even noticed Hansel. "Sir?" Hansel tried again, but was only rewarded with silence.

Unsure of what to do, he scooted closer to Mr. Dane, ready to tap his shoulder to get his attention. It really was strange for a man to stand so silently in the middle of a completely empty room, Hansel had to strain his ear to hear if the man was even breathing, so silent was he.

"Sir?" Hansel tapped his boss's shoulder, but there was still no reaction, he tried again, "Sir, there is an issue in containment cell  4," he couldn't help but shudder as he thought of what had happened, "Regarding- regarding subject W56F, sir."

Mr. Dane spun around, "What did you say?" there was a wild look in his eyes.

"Th- there i-is an issue-" Hansel stammered, but was immediately interrupted.

"What subject Hansel? For goodness sake what subject?" Mr. Dane shouted and grasped Hansel's shoulder, shaking him until he sputtered the answer. A broad grin spread over his boss's face and he started dragging Hansel towards the door, whilst waving some sheets of paper excitedly. Hansel hadn't even noticed the papers until they were now fluttering in front of his face. "Well what in the world are you waiting for?" Mr. Dane shouted as he released the slow moving Hansel and hurried to the door, "Come on Hansel, come on we haven't got all day!"

Hansel had to run to keep up with the hurried steps of his boss, who was quite the big man compared to himself. "What room did you say Hansel, what room?"

Hansel couldn't remember every hearing his boss so desperate before, Mr. Dane was always a man of calmness. "Containment cell four, sir," he said, but continued quickly when Mr. Dane was about to change their course of direction, "But we can't go there, sir, it's on lockdown."

This managed to halt Mr. Dane, and he turned to Hansel with a shocked, but still a little excited, look on his face, "You mean to say, she broke out?"

Hansel gulped, "Y-yes sir."

"How many casualties?"

"The entire litter, and I'm not sure how many else, but many, sir, many."

Once again the grin spread across Mr. Dane's face, he didn't look the slightest disturbed or even concerned. "How's the situation now?" he asked.

"Everything is set and ready, sir, they're just awaiting your order."

"Set and ready?" he asked confused, but he soon understood "Oh god no! we can't kill her!" he sounded mortified.

To say Hansel was shocked to hear this was an understatement, Mr. Dane had never before been against disposing faulty subjects, and there was definitely something horribly wrong with subject W56F, "Can't kill her?, Sir, do you understand-"

"Yes of course I understand, just drug her and put her in the cage"

Mr. Dane's tone was finale, but he still couldn't quite believe it, "But sir-"

"That was an order Hansel."

He didn't like it, but there was nothing he could do if that was Mr. Dane's finale order, so he hurried to the others to report. No one were impressed with what he came to inform. Most of the team were shocked,ready to pull the trigger and start the project over. several made quite a spectacle, rightfully acknowleding all the causulties subject W56F had caused. But they all knew what they had signed up for, and that included following Mr. Dane's orders as if they were law. because they were.

Soon enough subject W56F was tranqulized placed in the cage.  A crew was sent in to deal with the damages and to look for survivors but as expected, there were none.

"What a creature," he murmured as he looked at her. How she was even breathing with that much tranquiliser in her was beyond him. The amount of tranquiliser they had used could bring down three grown lions, but she was burning it off as if it was nothing.

"Incredible isn't she?"

He jumped when he heard Mr. Dane, he hadn't noticed he'd arrived. There was an awe in Mr. Dane's voice he didn't quite understand. Yes she was certainly incredible, but more so was she dangerous. And deadly. He shuddered at the thought of her escaping again. He chose to not answer, only continued to stare at her. 

"So incredible," Mr. Dane repeated and took a few steps toward her before Hansel took a hold of his shoulder and stopped him.

"Maybe not so close sir, we don't know when, or what will happen when, she wakes up."

Mr. Dane looked at the girl, barely four winters old, where she lied sleeping, looking so innocent. Then he looked at her thick silver chains, the cage that hummed with danger, and to the seven guards who stood with massive guns pointed at the cage's prisoner. "Yes, perhaps you're right."

He turned to Hansel, "I just read her file today, great work with this one Hansel, she's perfect."

Hansel was gaping, "Sir, she killed 17 people!"

He turned back to the girl, "I know, and their losses were great," he said that yet he didn't seem very burdened, "But the cause they died for is also great, it can save millions."

It was true. Hansel knew he was right. Still, he wasn't so certain this was the right way to go, and before he could help himself he spoke his thoughts out loud.

"Hansel, there's something you need to understand, we live in a world of war and death," Mr. Dane said and looked deep into his eyes, "There is no right way, and if there is no right way then we have to go left," he pointed at the girl, "That is what left looks like."

Hansel went against his earlier advice and went closer to the cage, dangerously close to the humming that sounded from it, he felt Mr. Dane closely behind.

She had been special from the very beginning. Her parents had been the least faulty subjects until her. None of her siblings could compare, and now, none of her siblings were alive. On paper she was perfect, but in reality she was truly something else. She was only four winters old and already she had strength he had never before observed, and she was so fast. He looked at her wrists where the silver chains were burning her, and so deadly. It was frightening how easily everything she was, was hidden. If he didn't already known he would never had suspected she was anything but an innocent child.

"She looks so innocent," Mr. Dane said transfixed, and stretched his hand out as if to touch her.

"Don't!" Hansel shouted.

It happened so fast, she opened her eyes and then she was there, arm stretched out and reaching for Mr. Dane.  A guard got hold of Mr. Dane in time and pulled him back, he stumbled and fell on the floor, but he was out of reach. That was a close call.

Mr. Dane's eyes were filled with shock as he stared at the tiny girl. The tiny girl who had gone from innocently sleeping to a murderous monster in seconds. Withdrawing her hand, careful not to tuch the buzzing bars, she flickered her yellow eyes to Hansel.

"Looks like she's awake."