Chapter Thirty-One

"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." – Ephesians 4:29

Maya felt tears spring into her eyes as she closed the car door. Though every cell in her body wanted to look back and see Jake, she didn't dare turn around. Instead, she kept her attention focused on her parents, trying desperately not to let her tears show.

Mr. Mallory pulled away from the curb and headed out of the parking lot, leaving Jake behind them. Just before they turned onto the busy street, Maya couldn't contain her emotions any longer. She jumped to her knees and swiveled around, gripping the headrest of the backseat while staring out the window. Sure enough, she could barely make out Jake's figure slumped against the tree at the front of the parking lot.

Poor Jake! She chewed on her bottom lip worriedly. Her fingers automatically flew to her phone, but she resisted the urge to call him. Now was definitely not the time. Her parents were still chattering away excitedly, ignorant of the fact that their daughter had just been ripped away from one of the most important conversations of her life.

It had been partly Maya's fault, of course. She knew it had been rude to leave Jake hanging like that, but she'd been so shocked upon hearing his apology that running seemed to be the only plausible escape at the time. Now, she wished she could go back. Jake had poured his heart out to her, and she had left without acknowledging his honesty. Maya shamefully sank lower in her seat, watching the buildings and trees race by out the window. She squinted through her thin veil of tears before quickly blinking them away. If only I had stayed just a few minutes longer! If only I had told Jake how much his apology meant to me.

Mrs. Mallory's voice pulled Maya out of her reverie. "I hope you're just as excited as we are, honey!" she exclaimed. "You are, aren't you?"

Her mother's expectant look caused Maya to force a smile and nod along. "Of course," she said in the happiest tone she could muster.

Mr. Mallory beamed at her through the rearview mirror. "I'm glad you're on board," he said. "There's nothing I would like more than to stay home with my beautiful wife and daughter."

Maya's eyes widened. So this was what all the hype was about—her father had officially made the decision to stay home, and her mother had fully accepted it. They were probably on their way to celebrate the news right now.

"Where are we going again?" Maya asked curiously.

Mrs. Mallory rattled off the name of a fancy restaurant, and Maya sighed deeply. Eating was the last thing she wanted to do right now. Her fingers lightly traced the screen of her phone, but once again, she fought the urge to call Jake. Her parents needed her full attention right now. The way Mrs. Mallory was holding her husband's hand as he drove showed just how excited they were to be starting this new chapter in their lives—a chapter that included Maya.

This time, she gave her father a true smile and said, "I love you, Dad."

He took his eyes off the road for a brief second to meet her gaze. "I love you too, sweetie," he said.

Just as the first signs of sunset made their presence in the sky, Koa pulled his dad's pickup into the driveway of Nikki's house. He sat inside the vehicle for a few moments to collect himself. He glanced down at his phone, double-checked the address, and then glanced back up at the numbers hanging on the front porch of the house.