Chapter 5: A fever in the Blood

Disclaimer: D. Gabaldon owns all rights to Outlander Banner by LOS

. . . . .

"Dinna pay any mind to Jenny. She's just afluster at all the goin's on in Scotland."

"But she is right ... I can't boil water."

"Aye, but ye certainly can set my blood to boilin'."

"Oh, is that so?"

"Touch me and see if it isna true."

Sassenach took away my empty plate o' food, puttin' it on the floor, and then placed her hand opon my cheek. Her face lost its smile tho', in fact she appeared to be verra alarmed. She drew her hand back as if a snake was snappin' its gapin' mouth at her.

"I'm afraid you've got the beginnings of a fever. That's not unusual after a serious injury, though."

I kent her meanin', but she looked a wee bit off color. Why would she be so concerned? She e'en went so far as to place cool, wet cloths under my arms, and at my groin.

# # # # #

What I told him was only a half truth. A slight rise in temperature frequently occurs postoperatively, but with the extensive wound in Jamie's thigh, there was the distinct possibility of septic fever, and that worried me. Without antibiotics, it was like fighting a war with a peashooter. I tried not to fash about it, but my gut response was one of dread. Losing him now would send me following him to the grave.

That night I lay beside him. I could feel the unnatural heat rising from his body even after another dose of willow bark tea. What I wouldn't give for a modern thermometer. I had to do something more than applying cool water compresses, that much was certain.

After breakfast the next day, I asked jenny if she had any henna in her stock, or if not, where I might procure some.

"Henna? I've ne'er had any use for it. I imagine Seamus MacLean might have some, or leastwise could direct ye to someone who does. At one time, in his younger years, he used to be an apothecary, ken. He lives 'bout a mile or so west of here. It'll be the stone house wi' the sheep pen near the bridge.

"Why d'ye need it, anaways?"

"It's for your brother. I'm afraid he's begun a fever, and henna's a good antipyretic."

"A what?"

"A substance that will bring down a high temperature."

"Oh, aye, I expected as much, but wasna too sure."

Jenny nodded at me. "Ye ken a good deal 'bout herbs and such. I suppose ye could learn to be just as proficient at fixing food as weel ... if ye've a mind to."

I ignored the dig. Perhaps someday, we might become friends, unfortunately, today was not that day.

. . . . .

Before leaving on my errand, I went back to the room to change Jamie's dressing. The laceration displayed an angry red margin surrounding the sutures, and the left side of his scrotum was swollen and inflamed also. He flinched as I felt along his groin, pressing lightly at the engorged lymph nodes. Damn.

Sitting up, he shot me a mischievous look. "I hope ye're no thinkin' 'bout havin' yer way wi' me, as I'm no op to it as yet, aye?"

"Wouldn't dream of it; you need some time to heal. I can wait. You rest now."