Chapter Three

Flynn

I lead Harry down the hall.

To my surprise, his bedroom is empty. I would've thought that Louis would go there. Instead, the door to Callin's room is shut.

I take Harry into his and Louis' room, and shut the door behind us.

He turns and falls into my arms, sobbing.

I hold him, as he cries into my shoulder.

We stand like that for something like ten minutes, until his tears finally stop. He steps away from me, and sinks down onto the bed.

"I'm s-scared" he says.

"I know" I say, sitting down next to him. "You went through a lot last time."

"You're not scared" he says. "They haven't hurt you yet."

He's right.

What the boys and Callin went through three months ago, Steph and I weren't there. I'm starting to feel like I know the least about this people after us.

Which is ironic, because it's my fault.

"I am scared" I say. "I'm just better at hiding it."

I'm scared for him.

I'm scared one of us is going to get hurt.

"They won't stop" Harry says. "They won't stop until we're all dead. They'll do anything to get to us."

"I know" I say. "I can't make this better. But I'll be here for you."

"Be here for yourself" he says. "Being there for someone else will just get you killed."

He falls backward, so he's laying down on the bed.

I do the same.

I find his hand, where it's resting on the bed, with mine.

He weaves our fingers together.

"Don't you die for me, Flynn Michaels" he says softly.

"I will" I say. "A million times over, if I have to."

"You say that now" he says. "But when you're staring down the barrel of a gun, you realize how few people you would actually die for."

I squeeze his hand.

After a moment, he squeezes mine back.

"But maybe I'm just a bad person" he says after awhile. "Maybe everyone would be willing to die for a casual friend."

"Nobody would judge you for what you did to stay alive" I say. "I'm the last person to do that, anyway. I sold you all out to them, just to give myself a reason to live."

"What do you mean?" he asks.

"You heard Steph" I say. "It's my fault they came after Louis. I charged into the police station that day and told them that I knew what they had done. I threw myself into that case because I needed a reason to stay alive. I went too far, told them too much because I wanted to solve the case for myself."

"You don't honestly think we're gonna blame you, right?" Harry asks.

When I don't answer, he rolls over, so that he's on top of me, his face inches from mine.

"You didn't know" he says softly.

His breath is warm on my lips.

"Yeah, it's your fault" he continues. "But you didn't man to hurt us. You didn't want any of this to happen, you didn't even know it had happened until a half hour ago. None of us are going to blame you. If you could go back and change it, would you?"