Chapter 20

[A/N]: My house is HOT. We have air conditioning, but my father is refusing to turn it on. Soooo I'm a sweaty Elsie. This chapter is dedicated to DanielleRyannXo for making the adorable multimedia!

[Louis' P.O.V]

I woke up feeling stiff, curled up on a hospital bed in Dr. Shell's dim-litted lab. I expected to find my Kitten curled up next to me, but it seemed that I was alone. I glanced around the room, rubbing sleepily at my eyes, "Harry?"

Where the incubator normally sat next to the bed, there was an empty and lonely space. I frowned. Where was Fionna? It wasn't good to move the incubator around. Dr. Shell suddenly emerged through the door, not even acknowledging me until I cleared my throat. He looked to me tiredly, "Louis? You're still here?"

"Um..." I said slowly. "Harry and I already said we weren't leaving Fionna?"

"Louis..." Dr. Shell murmured. "This isn't healthy. You need to go home."

"What?" I shook my head. "You're being weird, where's Harry? Is Fionna with him?"

"Louis," the bald man sighed. "You know that neither of them made it through the delivery... we knew the baby couldn't be born naturally, and we were too late to stop it. They're gone, Louis."

"No," I whispered in confusion, then my voice rose to a yell. "No you're lying, I was there! It was a Cesarean section and they were both fine, Harry's okay, we have a little girl who weighs 3lbs 9oz, maybe a little less or little more now, she eats through a tube because she's still so little and has to stay warm in a-"

"They're gone, Louis," Dr. Shell shook his head.

I felt numb. Had I dreamed everything? They couldn't be gone. I couldn't have lost both my Kitten and our baby. I'd promised him that they'd both be fine. Dr. Shell was joking, Harry would come out of the bathroom and Fionna was just upstairs or something, that had to be it, "Seriously, where are they?"

"I'm sorry, lad," Dr. Shell said sadly, turning around for a moment and bringing me something that he clutched in his hand. Harry's beanie. But we hadn't brought Harry's beanie with us... "The funeral is today. They're being burried together."

"No," I croaked. "No, no, no, this isn't happening-"

"I figured you'd go early to say your goodbyes..." he continued.

"Stop!" I clasped my hands over my ears, my heart feeling as if it were going to explode from my chest. "Tell the truth, where's my Kitten, our baby?!"

 "Don't make me show you proof, Louis," Dr. Shell warned, and then suddenly I was standing in an empty room with a long aisle in front of me. It looked a bit like it was set up for a wedding, and I was in a suit, but at the far end there was a casket. It was with shaky legs that I stumbled forward, opening the casket. Inside was what I feared most. My Kitten and my baby, both pale as sheets. Harry was in a suit, Fionna was in a small pink dress that was much to big on her, and both of their eyes were closed. They just lay there. Unbreathing. To make things even worse, they had tiny little Fionna tucked into the cradle of Harry's arms.. And then I was sobbing, and falling as I did so.

I awoke with a jolt before I could hit the ground, a loud sob escaping my shattered feeling chest. From beside me I heard a sharp intake of breath and then there were hands patting at me, "My Louis, you are alright?!"

My eyes snapped open. Like my dream, I was in Dr. Shell's lab, and it was dim since Dr. Shell was asleep across the room, but instead of being alone, Harry was taking my hand in his and wiping the tears that continued to fall with the other hand, frantically trying to get my attention. The incubator was in it's normal place, and Fionna was suddenly whimpering and kicking.