Prologue

No one

He sat there on the cold bench. At seventeen, you'd expect him to have at least a job. Maybe a house? No. He's on his own.

The only person he can count on is himself. With his mother committing suicide with him at seven years old, and his father killed when he was thirteen, you'd think he'd be dead too.

He hasn't thought about it though. He's been trying to find a purpose to life. He convinces himself everyday he'll find someone to help him. Something to keep him going. With it being the Great Depression passing, everything's been getting better for everyone else.

Not him. He's been in the same position sense that day of his father, lying in the open casket. He didn't shed a single tear because it's not like his father was there for him.

He looked over as he felt a body sit next to him. He watched as the grey eyed boy felt inside his pockets, but sighed and took his hands out revealing nothing but two pennies.

Finally the boy with grey eyes looked up at him. He smiled a weak smile and held out his hand.

"I'm Tommy. You?" He asked.

"Jason. Jason McCann."

They shook hands. Tommy stared into the busy streets of New York City, wondering if there's hope for a better life. Jason tried, but his gut kept telling him that he isn't going to get any better.

His head turned quickly as he heard a shriek.

He saw a boy, maybe about sixteen, looking down at his own clothes in disgust. The boy looked behind him, at a car driving away. Jason looked at him, seeing as what he was wearing, he must come from a wealthy family.

"This is preposterous! I can't even walk around without my clothes being ruined!" He whined. He had a small English accent.

"Oi. Give up. Nothing like him will ever pay attention to scums like us." Tommy said lowly in Jason's ear. Jason turned back to Tommy.

"Yeah, you're right." He said. But he didn't look away. The boy looked up and met Jason's eyes. Jason didn't look away, but the boy did.

The young lad had finally power walked off, muttering a few words under his breath.

'That's the last I'll ever see of him' Jason thought. He felt as Tommy stood up.

"Well, I've got a bus to catch up to." He shook Jason's hand once again, and gave him a small paper, walking the opposite way the boy went.

Jason opened up the piece of paper and saw in small writing.

Wealthy live on the third street to the right.

Jason smiled a bit and thought.

'This is my purpose in life'

//\\
-Eliza

I probably will have the first chapter up soon. This time frame takes place in 1944 of course in New York City.

If you have any constructive criticism, please give it to me cause I need it :)

Anyways, thanks for reading! It'll get better, I promise. (NOT EDITED)