Chapter Two: Sleep Secrets

Muffled voices creep into my unconscious mind. Lights start to shine into my closed eyelids. Feeling starts to dissolve into my body. My eyelids flutter open.

Everything seems fuzzy for a moment then, I realize that I have sunglasses on. My hand starts to reach up to take them off, but a hand stops me. Too weak to resist, my hand goes down. "Stop...", whispers a voice to my left. Carefully, I nod my head toward the voice, trying to make it seem as if I was still asleep.

K.C. is there with a finger to her lips. Zoey and Lucas are talking as if they don't know that I'm awake. K.C. mouths to me 'listen". I nod carefully and super slowly.

I fidget with my fingers trying to not fall asleep again. Unluckily, my dreams get the better of me. I nod off and fall into a deep sleep.
* * *
Fluttering my eyes open, the world seems fuzzy, but dreamy at the same time. A small voice in the back of my head, I realizes that I am in a dream. The world seems over colorful.

Commanding the world to become clear, to my surprise, it does. When it focuses I see the inside of a car with three people sitting in it, while a fourth is lying in her seat. The three people's faces are blurry, so I can't see them.

"We have got to get her over there in time!" whispers the driver.

"Well, what do you suggest?!" the person behind the driver asks annoyed.

"Guys, don't start. We already have enough to take off because of her!" exclaims the person in the passenger seat thrusting his thumb at the girl lying down. The voice sounds masculine, so I guess it's a make. It sounds a bit familia-

"Lucas!" So his name is Lucas! Just like my fri- Oh my potato chips! I'm looking at my own real life dream. I cannot believe it!

"Lucas! We can't just get rid of her that easily! Remember what Red said?" Zoey reminds.

"Yeah yeah! Plan Red, I get it." K.C. exclaims.

Plan Red?! What's going on?! Suddenly a groan sounds from the back of the car. At the exact same time, a low groan escapes from my lips. Oh no! I'm waking up!

The dream starts to fade away and is replaced  with a bright light. "Ohhh..." My head pounds as I emerge from my dream. Eyes focused on me, mine slowly flick open. Sweat beads place on my forehead a I wake up.

"Hey Autumn! You fell asleep for like four hours." Zoey remarks.

I nod suspiciously and stay silent.

"So... How'd you sleep? Any interesting dreams? Do you remember them?", questions Lucas, trying to break the ice.

"Um... Yeah. I sleep good, although I felt a little prick when I was about to fall asleep. Weird, huh?" I say, trying to get them to confess. Unfortunately, they just share the same blank expression. Then I start to wonder, Did I really dream-see what I saw, or was it just another weird dream, like usual? I don't think it was real.

"Autumn, you wanna get some snacks?"

"Yeah sure!" I respond to Zoey.

She pulls over into a gas station and we all get out. I climb out of the car nod enjoy the fresh air. Wobbling, I stray toward the trunk so that I can change into some cleaner (and less sweaty) clothes.

Then I walk into the gas station to find the bathrooms. When I come out, I look so fresh and smooth.

A pink-striped blouse hangs loosely from my shoulders half-covering black and white vine leggings. Pink and purple zig-zag platform sandals feel way more comfortable than my ankle boots. Cupcake earrings dangle from my ears and an aqua beaded bow necklace sways in the wind. My bangle bracelets shimmer and a grass green mini-bag, imprinted with a leaf, slings over my shoulder. I take apart my pigtails and make a messy side ponytail, staying in place with a sea green feather headband. My light brown hair swings over my left eye.

I walk away and decide to give my old clothes to a young poor girl on the streets. She smiles and runs away in happiness. I turn and try to spot Zoey, Lucas, and K.C. With no luck, I trudge toward the car in defeat. As soon as I open the car door, I find it filled with grocery bags. Guess what was under them. Lucas, Zoey, and K.C.!