25. Revelations

1832 March 3rd

Ten minutes before two O'clock in the morning

Revelations

One would have thought it was Matilda's scream.

But it was a compilation of wails and shrieks emanated from a crumpled, dark-haired young man and a wide-eyed, frazzled young lady with red crescents pressed in her palms.

"HOW DARE YOU?" the latter howled, throwing her wild fists at the eldest vampyre, who snatched her wrists with lightening speed, slamming her to the wall. After a swift flick of his head back in the direction of the dark-haired Nicholas hunched over the lifeless form of Elsa's old house maid, he turned back to Elsa and smiled, then, holding her in place, crushed his lips to her neck, his teeth sinking into her flesh like needles through a quilt, and drank the rivers of scarlet until Elsa's eyelids grew too heavy to keep open.

She only remembered wondering how a vampyre could drink the blood of another vampyre, having not realized her blood hadn't frozen like the rest of her seemed to have. She slumped to the dust-coated floor, and a hand shot out to either keep him in place or push him away, she was not sure.

Sven moved to Nicholas, taking his collar in his fists and pushing him to his back. Over him he asked, "Why do you fancy and care for such a useless being? She has nothing to offer you, but her blood. Drink it, relish in it! That is why you live!"

"NO!" Nicholas shrieked under the golden-eyed vampyre. "That is not why I live! I have kept myself alive in the hopes to see my beloved once more!"

"And once more you have," Sven whispered before, just like Elsa, he sank his trained teeth into the boy's neck and drank.

Just like Elsa, whose hair was a wild dark brown mane, eye pupils dilated, he slumped to the floor. His eyes locked on Elsa's and held.

His lips formed a word. Confused and light-headed, she was not sure what it was he had meant to say. A darkness began to close in on her, and she began to will it to close faster, having been much too exhausted to fight it, until suddenly, there was the sound of broken glass.

Elsa and Nicholas simultaneously looked up, weak but alert, and Sven stood, towering over Nicholas as though he were a punished dog. He turned toward the noise and a eager smile rose on his face. "Guests," he said as though he had been awaiting his friends for tea time.

Suddenly shadows lurked around the corner and half a dozen figures showed up, clad in red cloaks.

Sven's smile widened. "Hello, Charlotte."

"Sven," she said stolidly.

"Dawno się nie widzieliśmy."

Charlotte scoffed.

Elsa looked on, confused and dazed. The blackness scratched at the sides of her vision, but she fought it now, her curiosity brighter than the sun.

"What brings you here?" Sven offered, feigning cordial reception. "I wonder if you are here to collect your newest friend?" He jut his chin toward Elsa, but Charlotte didn't follow his gesture.

"Actually, Sven. It is you that brings me and my ladies here. More specifically, as you know very well how I despise riddles and counterfeit friendliness. I am here for that pocket watch you stole from Elsa."

"You mean my watch," he corrected.

"It was never meant for you, Sven. The abilities I bewitched it with were intended for Nora. Now, I intend them to be Elsa's.