Bucky- I am Bucky

The pic is from a children's book
It broke my heart tbh

Before the light gets brighter
The darkness gets bigger
And the person you'd take a bullet for
Is behind the trigger

"Bucky, I need you to open up. I need you to reach out. This team can't function correctly if not everyone is comfortable with each other." Steve said to his friend, who held an unreadable expression on his face.

"They're not comfortable with me?" Bucky said, anger edging into his voice. "Then why am I even here? Why do I even try?"

"Because we need you. I... I need you. I need you so bad, Buck." Steve hung his head, the sadness evident on his face.

"Bucky died in the forties, Steve. Whatever I am now, that's what I'm going to be. Bucky isn't coming back."

"Don't say that. You've made massive improvments-"

"Improvements. Steve, I'm never going to be like that again. All of the things I've seen, all of the things I've done... it changes people. If the team can't handle me being quiet around them, or aren't comfortable with my slightly intimidating look, then I don't see a reason for staying."

"I can tell you quite a few right now."

"Yeah," Bucky scoffed, "of course you can."

Steve huffed. "One: I need you. Two: you are a great addition, combat wise, to the team. Three: you're a great addition, smarts wise, to the team. Four: there are people that would be really... hurt if you left."

"Like who?" Bucky asked, his voice slightly softened from Steve's rant.

"I-I, well..." Steve debated on telling him about you, about the secrets you shared with Steve. The secrets like how you admired Bucky, and would follow him to the ends of the earth. How you enjoyed his quiet and mysterious demeanor, how you knew about his personality around Steve.

"What, Steve?" Bucky asked, trying to get his friend to continue.

"Well, um," Steve brought a hand to the back of his neck and sighed. "(Y/N). She... admires you. A lot. She wants to be your friend, wants to talk and stuff... she'd probably be as torn up as I would be if you left."

Bucky was silent. Speechless. He knew you, of course. But you were fascinated by Bucky. You admired him. He didn't think anyone could think thoughts like that around him, much less about him. He was on a teetering scale, fighting the constant uphill battle between man and monster, trying to get back any identity, even if it wasn't his. He felt his heart swell when Steve spoke of your thoughts. To someone else, to a normal person, he was human. Humane. Good. Admirable.

And, in that moment, your thoughts broke Bucky Barnes.

"Just think about it, okay?" Steve said, giving Bucky's back a quick pat before exiting the room.

Bucky remained silent until the footsteps echoed far down the hall, barely audible. When no one was around, he let the tears fall. It started with a single drop, but eventually became the silent sobbing he was so used to, his face curled into a pillow as the water rolled down his cheeks.

He couldn't stop his emotions like usual. You had made him feel differently than anyone else. You called him human. He was a man, not a monster. He had his own thoughts. He wasn't a puppet. He had no strings.

"There are no strings on me."

The words echoed through his head. He wasn't mindless. He wasn't HYDRA's weapon. He was a man, with choices and freedoms.

He cried the overwhelming thoughts away, letting the wonderful reality crash down onto him. It was a beautiful thing, realizing the freedom he was always too scared to claim.

He hastily wiped his cheeks, taking a few deep breaths.

"You're okay." He whispered to himself, calming his shaky breaths. He stood, went into the bathroom, and splashed cool water on his face.

He looked up into the mirror, seeing a completely different person. It was no longer a cold stare and peircing gaze in his reflection. It was a new man, a man with his own mind. It was Bucky. It was James Buchanan Barnes.

He dashed out of his room, almost running into Tony in his scrambling. He ran into the elevator, then down the hall when it arrived at the right floor.

He stopped in front of the tall, dark door, panting slightly. He stared at it for a few minutes, then hesitantly raised his metal hand to tap on it softly.

"Who is it?" You called from inside. He was a bit lost on the answer.

"It's... me. Bucky." He was content with his answer, proud that he was able to say he was Bucky again.

You wasted no time in answering the door, only to be crushed in the biggest bear hid you'd ever received. Bucky kept his arms wrapped tightly around your shoulders. His nose nuzzled into your hair, tickling your neck. You froze at first, but put your hands up on his back, letting your face fall into his shoulder.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." He whispered to you.

"For what, Buck?" You questioned quietly.

"You've saved me, (Y/N)."

"And how have I done that?"

"Steve told me what you said. Thank you."

You didn't know whether to be angry or proud of Steve, knowing he told your secrets to Bucky.

"Anything for you, Bucky." You replied, running your hands across his back.

He pulled out of the hug, keeping you in his arms. He left a long, lingering kiss on your forehead before letting go and taking your hands, leaving soft kisses on each.

"You've saved me." He repeated. You smiled softly and rose your hand to his cheek, running your thumb along his cheekbone.

"Anytime, darling."