Chapter Ten - If We Make It Out Alive

Thomas' POV

I turn the final corner and my mind screams with delight.  Newt was there, waiting for me at the other end of the Maze.  I try my best to be any faster, sadly I of course fail.

"Thomas!  The doors!" Newt cries out to me, a very worried expression plastered on his face. 

"I'm not going to make it!" I loudly huff out back. 

"Bloody run damnit!" Newt influences my next horrible decision. 

With my last bit of energy I force my self to try to forget about the pain and just run.  Within the first few steps I tumble to the hard ground. 

I cry out in pain swearing my head off as I struggle.  I clutch my throbbing foot as the grim thoughts sink in.  That's it.  I'm dead.  I'll be out here alone.  At night.  I'll be gone forever. . .

I look down and begin to fully cry. 

Then a dust cloud is shot up into my face, I look up.  It was Newt.  Newt is inside the maze, and the doors are closed. 

"You just killed yourself." I sniffle.

He nods.

"For me."

"For you." he slide over closer to me. 

"Why would you do that, I-I thought you hated me after what happened."  I wipe my tears away.

"That was all my fault Thomas.  I should've not been such a slinthead myself.  It wasn't fair to you, you didn't know any better." he looks me in the eye.

"Know what?" I question quietly.

"Nevermind that for now." he dismisses the question.

"Alright," I give in. "Why did you come and try to be my hero?"

"I think I've taken a liking to you, Thomas." Newt smiles up at me then quickly looks down at the ground.

"Y-You like me?" My heart beats faster than it ever had before and I can feel my face burn with red. 

"I know, a moody shank like me, not much of a catch." he laughs.

"N-No, you're right."

He looks up, "What'd you say?"

"I-I like you too, Newt.  I have since day one.  I just didn't know it." I confess scratching my neck in nervousness.

He sighs in relief, "Well that lifts ten stones of my shoulders." 

"Yeah what you said." I laugh going to move closer to him but being held back by my injury.

"Oh yeah, my leg is still messed up pretty bad." I gesture to it.

"Join the party." he smiles.  I've never really noticed how much I like his smile.  Or really, how much I like just seeing him be actually happy for once.

"Thomas?  You know it's quite rude to stare." he playfully lectures me.

I shake my head vigorously, I didn't realize I was. 

I chuckle slightly, blushing and tease back by saying, "Like you wouldn't do the same!"

We both laugh but are soon interrupted by an ear piercing noise, coming from deeper within the maze.

"Newt?"

"We've got to go Thomas!" he goes as quick as he can to reach me. 

The noise sounds itself again, yet this time, closer.