Chapter 9 - The Past (Part II)

Chapter 9 – The Past (Part II)

"Again!" Taiyou yelled and ran at her for what must have been the millionth time that day.

She tried as hard as she could to predict his movements, but failed and ended up getting kicked hard in the side after trying to dodge a punch and leaving herself open, and flung across the room, landing with a loud thud on the hardwood floor.

"Get up. We are going to continue doing this until you can perform the combination correctly. Remember, dodge, block, dodge, counter." the older man repeated and showed her the correct movements yet again.

It wasn't that she couldn't do it. She just couldn't do it against him. Mostly it was because he was much faster, bigger, heavier and a lot more stronger than her, even though that was only natural since she was only 6 years old and he was a grown man. But all credit to her, she could probably beat up 20 6 year olds in a matter of moments. She was progressing surprisingly quickly, but her physical strength wouldn't begin to appear properly for at least another ten years, so by that time she would be a hand-to-hand combat master and would be able to use that strength very well.

Still, it was surprising how mature she had become in the last month. Since that first outburst where she had pushed her bowls and glass onto the floor and smashed them at the dinner table when she had first arrived at Taiyou's house, there had been no more that he had seen.

In fact, she had barely acted like the same person any more. Taiyou had noticed that she used to watch the younger children's cartoons that most 6 year olds would enjoy when she first bothered to actually watch TV, and now, after a little over a month, she was watching the news and documentaries instead, as well as reading newspapers, and books not meant for her age, but for adults.

She barely even changed her expression any more, much like himself. He wasn't sure whether she decided to not display her emotions because he didn't and he was a Sora Ops agent, but it was more than likely that she knew that expressions and body language could tell the truth when the person themselves could not, or would not. And it was also probably because she didn't want to let herself feel anything at all any more.

Her intellect level had absolutely soared as well. When they were having a break from combat training, he would occasionally come up with various scenarios of missions that she might have to do, and he even threw in a few that he had done himself, and asked her how she would successfully complete the mission, and almost always, she would be dead-on, down to the last detail.

He had also decided to put her back into a regular school when he started taking missions again, because he wouldn't be around as much to have the time to home-school her, not that he did much of that anyway. Not that she needed it either.

In another two weeks, he would begin to teach her about using weaponry and the correct ways to maintain them as well. Maintaining your weapons was just as important as using them properly. In some situations, it could mean life or death.

Finally, she pulled herself together and got up, and he didn't spare another moment to tell her to prepare herself and ran at her. She just barely dodged the first punch by a hair, and she wasn't fast enough to block to second, but dodged instead, then blocked the third and attempted to counter on his fourth movement.

Unfortunately, he was just too strong and fast for her and blocked her counter-attack, and she only just leapt out of the way to avoid his out-stretched leg which was coming at her in the exact same way that it had only a minute ago.