Nine

"Would you like a refill, ma'am?"

"Yes, please," I said politely. I lifted my glass and the waiter poured another full glass of iced tea. He was very friendly and polite, this waiter. He was also very attractive, he had deep green eyes and blond hair.

"You know," Kim whispered as she leaned towards me, "that waiter was pretty hot."

"He was," I whispered back as I played with the piece of lettuce on my platter. I glanced over at Connor, now it was his turn to give us the weird look.

"We can hear you guys, you know," Toby said, glancing over at us.

"Oh, so you're jealous?" I hinted and Connor snorted.

As we continued to talk and chat, I felt something uncomfortable.

Shit.

I shifted around in my seat, but it was no help. It had to be now.

"Kim," I whispered harshly. She was still laughing at some corny joke Toby told her, she wasn't paying attention to me. I kicked her shin and her head turned to me.

"What?"

"Do you want to go to the bathroom with me?" I asked in a casual voice, I half-coughed.

"Oh," Kim nodded quickly as her eyes lit up, "sure."

"We'll be back," she told Toby and Connor. I stood up from my seat, pulling down my skirt. Taking a quick glance at my chair, I was relieved. I didn't leave any discoloring on the leather. I walked frantically to the bathroom.

"Here," Kim opened her clutch and pulled out a small tampon, "It'll only last until we get back to the hotel."

"Thanks, Kim," I said before going to one of the bathroom stalls.

We came back out and walked back to our seats.

"Are we finished?" Connor asked before taking out his phone. But as soon as he asked that, the waiter came to our table.

"Your dinner has paid, the bill has been sent to your room."

"Thank you so much," I thanked him and he nodded before giving me a crooked grin. We filed out of the restaurant and found ourselves in the middle of the lobby.

"It's getting late," Connor said as he glanced at his phone, it was almost half past eleven.

We were on our way back to the elevators, my heels were clicking loudly on the marble floors. We all filed into the elevator. As the elevator doors were closing, a few people rushed into the closing doors and squeezed into the small elevator. Then the doors closed.

The few who ran into the elevator looked out of place. The woman had on a black cocktail dress and was nervously checking her phone, she was beginning to sweat due to the small claustrophobic spaces. With her one free hand, she played with the strands of hair that came loose from her tight bun.

The guy standing next to her looked about thirty. His button-down came undone and untucked, he didn't look too good. His eyes were bloodshot and his posture was lopsided. This guy obviously had one shot too many, he was smiling like a complete psychopath.

And worse, he was standing uncomfortably close to Kim, who was trying to avoid any eye contact with him. It was obvious he was trying to get close to her, the woman on his other side didn't even realize this. She was too busy checking her phone.

Kim's eyes fell to the floor. She scooted away from the man. But knowing that there wasn't any room in the elevator, she didn't move very much. Kim wrapped her hand around one of Connor's wrist, as if she was mentally telling Connor something. I was standing over on the other side of the elevator, watching their every move. Toby looked at me with a worried look. Toby grabbed my hand cautiously. I squeezed it tightly. I looked up at the numbers, we still had a long way until our floor.