MEANING- My Heart is Broken

In an Interview:

In the Spotify chat, you said the working title for “My Heart is Broken” was ‘Metalocalarp’. Can you tell us more about it?

"Tim, Terry and I wrote the song together at my house in NY. Tim programmed a simple drum beat on the computer and looped it, and I started jamming that piano riff on the harp, and then Terry came in w the guitar. We loved it right away, and once we got together with the rest of the band, it really came to life. We almost always have stupid temporary names for songs before we get the lyrics written and name it for real. Metalocalypse plus harp equals Metalocalarp."

"Let's see, this is another one from that session when we wrote What You Want. Actually the song at first we were jamming Tim and Terry and I. I actually used to play that piano part on the harp because it was a lot slower and a little bit easier. And then it just got faster and faster at pre-production with the band. And when we get into recording I was cool, get in the harp and I was like 'Nah, this is not possible anymore, it's way fast'! So it's a piano part, actually I think it sounds better as a piano part. It's more prominent, it's a stronger instrument so you're hearing it a little bit more. I love that song, it's definitely one of the more passionate tracks on the album. And I hope that that's the second single, I think it might be"

Amy also said this about the song in an MTV interview:

A lot of times when I write, I just sort of make up words, and something will stick, and I'll be like, "Oh, that's from my subconscious. That's what I need to write the song about." And that's sort of what happened [with the song]. I was like, "I think I'm writing about this thing; it's on my heart," just imagining being in such a trapped place and how that might feel, so the song was actually inspired by that idea.

Amy noted that the song was inspired by her involvement with the organisation Restore NYC rather than romantic heartbreak as the title of the song might suggest.

"A good friend of mine heads up an organisation in New York that rescues victims of sex trafficking", Amy clarifies. "My husband and I got involved and were really moved and horrified. As I was writing the song I was putting myself in that place - what would it be like to be trapped? Threatened? Alone? Unable to tell anyone what was happening because you're afraid of what would happen?"