Sociopath

KAI

It's tough being a sociopath sometimes.

It's not that I don't like being a sociopath, exactly. It's that it makes it so hard for people to hold a normal human conversation with you without pointing something out like, "Remember when you killed my son?" or "But you killed your family!"

Yes, I've killed a lot of people. Your point?

An example of this is just before, when my favourite trio of hell dwellers wouldn't believe me about knowing how to get out of here. I suppose I am a little unsure of the finer details, but I know a hell of a lot more than they do. Even with their hostility towards me, Bonnie still agreed to retrieve what I told her to.

If I was being honest, I was disappointed that she was the one that had to leave. Damon and Athena weren't exactly friendly, and seemed like they would dismember me if I made any move to escape. Right now, though, they aren't exactly the epitome of threatening.

Damon sits on an armchair, taking large swigs of bourbon and doing that little eyebrow thing he does when he's thinking. Athena is lying on her stomach on one of the grand leather couches around the living room of the Salvatore Boarding House, a book in her hands and twirling her silvery blonde hair around her finger every once in a while.

I didn't know what to make of Athena. I knew Bonnie was a loyal, selfless type of person, and I knew Damon was a vampire probably sired by Satan himself that would kill me in an instant. Athena was tough, impulsive and always seemed to follow her heart rather than her head. I wouldn't doubt that she'd have it in her to kill me. Even so, when I had told her she was pretty, something had softened in her eyes and she had hesitated before shutting me down.

From what I've seen, she'd be the easiest to bend to my will and get me the hell out of here. It isn't just that, though. I feel like I want to get to know her better. I wouldn't say I like her, though. After all, sociopaths don't exactly have a weakness for pretty girls. Even so, I still have this desire to get close to her.

I clear my throat. "It'd be great if I could have some coffee."

Damon and Athena look at each other for a second before Athena says hastily, "Damon."

Damon sighs and sets the bottle down, getting to his feet and disappearing through the door. Athena goes back to the book she's reading. "What are you reading?" I ask.

She looks up at me and her eyes take fill with a sort of excitement. She swings her legs over the couch and sits up, brushing her light hair away from her face. "The Hobbit. Damon always says I look like Legolas because of my hair. There was nothing else in his library that I recognised so I decided to see what all the fuss is about." She puts in her bookmark and shuts the book, planting her hands on the cushion beside her.

"I don't know what a Legolas is," I say. "I've never been a big reader."

"A Legolas isn't a thing, Legolas is the name of someone. He's an elf," she corrects me. "That's okay, though. There's a movie also." She tilts her head, biting down on her plump, pale pink bottom lip. "We're in 1994. Right. There's no movie yet."

"I wonder what the future is like," I blurt out. "I've heard the internet is great."

She fishes around in her pocket before producing a slim, metal object. "Here's my phone. You can look at it if you want," she says. She gets up from her seat and walks over to me. She presses the phone into my hand and tells me not to drop it.

After seeing that I can't do anything with my hands tied, she grabs it out of my hand. "Here," she says, holding it out in front of me. "I forgot your hands were tied."