Sunrise to Sunset Part 2

Over the next few days, we managed to hide some of our antagonism—for mother's sake. But it was only a matter of time before my mother found out about our inability to get along.

"You think I wouldn't know," she said, the disappointment in her voice cut through me like a cheese grater.

"I was hoping it was a passing phase," she said.

I sighed.

"You have to promise, you'll try harder to get along—both of you," She looked at the two of us.

We nodded our heads at the same time, and replied in unison, "Yes, mom."

This was going to be difficult, I thought. But I'll try if she does.

As the years passed by, growing up together, we interacted but there was never any real closeness; at least that's how I felt...more like acquaintances than sisters or friends. We never discussed the elephant in the room—early on, I had mom, and she didn't. She didn't say it in words, but I could see it in the dark pools of her eyes. I had it better. Or at least that's probably what she thought.

We kept to ourselves as much as possible, at home and in high school. With the exception of one friend we both shared, Tom, our neighbor. He was in some of Clarissa's classes, but I would talk with him whenever I would go outside (and wasn't reading a Sweet Valley High book) and sit on the slightly cracked cement steps that decorated the front of our apartment.

I remember staying home from school one day (I had to go to the doctor for a check-up) and seeing my sister walking up the block with him.

"Hi," he said, his dark brown eyes sparkling like wet ebony in the gleaming sun. "Watcha' doin'?"

"Oh, nothing. I'm just sitting here, reading a book." I showed him the cover, hoping he wouldn't make fun of me for my selection of supposed literature.

"Cool," he said.

Clarissa didn't seem to notice my slightly flushed cheeks.

If anything, she looked a little excited herself, as she pulled on his sleeve, "Tom, I'm gonna go show my mom how I did on my English paper. I'll be right back, okay?"

"Sure," he said, without even looking at her.

She ran inside as he sat down next to me on the steps. He continued to stare at me.

"What?" I asked in mock exasperation.

"I just think you're so cute when your cheeks turn red.

I looked down at my dirty black and white converse shoes. At this point, I'd known Tom for about a year and a half, but was always too shy to tell him how I really felt about him. I always thought he favored my sister.

He touched my chin with his right hand and turned my face toward his, bending down and kissed me on the lips. It was over almost as quick as it started. I could feel it all the way down my body, traveling like a current of water, all the way to my toes. I smiled. But it was short lived as soon as I heard that familiar abrasive voice behind me.

"You stupid, bitch!"

I turned around. Clarissa's face was redder than a Roma tomato on a Sunday sale. As much as we've argued in the past, it was mainly passive aggressive. I don't recall ever seeing anger like this emanating from her...ever.

She snatched the book out of my hands, and started to tear out a few of the pages, before flinging the book down the steps.

Before I could say anything, she ran up the steps—no doubt to complain to mom. It happened so fast. I apologized to Tom, and went after her, leaving him standing there alone and speechless. Or at least if he did say anything, I didn't hear him.