Chapter 2: Run

Taylor tossed and turned in her bed. She looked over at the clock. It read 1:37 am. Taylor gave an exasperated sigh. She found it difficult to sleep, though it wasn't the noises that kept her awake. Taylor heard a door open and close. She heard Lucas's voice and listened in. He was talking on the phone to someone.

"I'm sorry!" Lucas said.

"No, you're right. I should have told you." A few moments passed by.

"It's not like last time! I'm not hiding anything!" A couple more moments.

"Look Riley, I sorry I didn't tell you about my sister. You're right, we shouldn't keep secrets from each other, please just get some sleep. It's almost two in the morning and we have school tomorrow." Taylor waited for the door to open and close, but instead she heard a knock at her door. She got up and opened it.

"Did I wake you up?"

"Nope. Come on in." Taylor flicked on the light and sat beside Lucas on the sofa.

"What's up?" Taylor said seeing a mix of emotions in her brother's eyes.

"Nothing."

"Come on. You can tell me."

"I've been going out with Maya. I like her a lot, but I want to go out with Riley. Apparently Riley thinks that we're like brother and sister. I don't know what to do."

"Did you tell her that?"

"Sort of, I guess. I tried!"

"You need to tell her."

"She won't listen! I tried to tell her that."

"She knows Lucas. She doesn't want to face it."

"Why? Why can't we just-" Taylor cut him off by hugging him. His big, warm arms wrapped around her.

"Riley will come around. Texas changes you. Things will never be the same. Change is a good thing. Change happens a lot. You just have to be patient."

"When did you get so smart?"

"When I realized you were gone and you weren't coming back."

Riley sat in the bay window by herself. Her phone was beside her. She knew she loved Lucas, but she seemed to think that if things didn't work before, they couldn't work now. She thought about Texas. Maya was her best friend. Maya deserved a chance. Riley had her chance and Maya stepped back. Now it was Riley's turn. Riley was shaken from her thoughts by a tap on the window. She saw Lucas's face, and another one. Riley realized how much he and Taylor really looked alike. They had the same light brown hair and tan skin with bright blue gray eyes. She opened the window quietly.

"Lucas, Taylor? What're you two doing here?"

"Riley. I'm not your brother. I love you Riley. I know you feel the same way! Please Riley, I've always liked you. Please." Lucas's voice was soft and his eyes shimmered.

Taylor sat on the couch beside Lucas. He and Maya broke up a few weeks back. She actually broke up with him! Now he and Riley were dating again. They were both determined to make it work this time.

"You're starting date is tomorrow." Lucas said.

"For school?"

"Yeah. You excited?"

"I think I'll make it." Taylor said smiling. Lucas held her hand.

"You're the greatest sister a guy could have." He smiled at her.