Chapter 1

It was a typical day for us. Laughing, joking around, and play fighting, until it wasn't. Soon enough, we were arguing about past mistakes and future possibilities. Now believe me, I loved him with all of my heart, but at the time, I hated his guts.

He was screaming at me, hands flying around in the air, when it happened. I guess I just took it too far. I mean, of course I was the one at fault, right? It's always my fault. I was the one who mentioned it, so of course it was my fault.

What happened, you ask? Well, he hit me. Slapped me across the face. In crude terms, bitch slapped me. It stunned us both. There he stood, staring at his hand like it was some horrifying creature, and I stood with my hand cupping my cheek. My eyes had filled with tears, soon spilling over and down my cheeks. His eyes were the same, though, none fell.

He started to speak, stuttering and mouth wide open like a fish. I couldn't bare to hear what he had to say. So, I ran off. I sprinted to our room, bawling my eyes out, and hid in our closet. I couldn't be near him. I mean, who actually does that to someone? Technically, I wasn't over-reacting. Anyone would react the same way I did after being slapped.

I had sat there, in our closet, crying and mumbling, "it didn't happen, it didn't happen" over and over to myself. That is, until I heard him rushing towards our room. I stopped as soon as I heard him quietly walk to the closet, standing in front of it. As the door began to creep open, I shuffled closer to the back, keeping my eyes on the floor, until he spoke.

"Oh, Cass! I am so sorry! I didn't mean to hit you, I swear! It was an accident, it'll never happen again! I love you so much."

Right.