XIV

XIV

            UNLIKE THE PREVIOUS night, Nicon did not have to wait long for Elysie to arrive.  His ears were alert and he was listening for Syd's double knock on her door, and a small smile graced his lips as he heard it open, almost immediately after the knock, and his mate greeted Syd with a pleasantry.

            A mere minute later and he could smell her scent outside the large wooden doors.  We've arrived, Your Highness.

            Enter, please.

            Syd shook his head slightly at the King's use of the word "please."  He could already tell the human's presence was softening him up, although slightly.

            "Are you ready?" Syd asked Elysie, his eyebrows raised as his hands rested on the door.

            She took a deep breath and nodded, her eyes crinkling in the corners as she smiled at the warrior.  "Thank you, Syd."  

            Syd smiled.  "Of course, my Lady."

            Elysie quirked an eyebrow as Syd opened the doors loudly.  "Please don't call me that."  Her tone had a serious edge to it, but as she flashed Syd one last grin, he knew she wasn't angry.  The King would have my head if I upset the Queen, Syd thought to himself, closing the doors with a chuckle as Elysie stepped through, her dark hair brushing softly against her shoulder blades as she walked. 

            "Good evening," Nicon said as he saw her.  She appeared happier than yesterday, a light air around her that Nicon involuntarily grinned at.  Her eyes were a shade brighter than the previous day, the cloudiness still dissipating minimally. 

            "Good evening," she replied quietly, her fingertips stretching out in front of her as she felt for the back of the chair.  Before she could reach it, however, Nicon quickly rose and moved to the chair, pulling it out for her, placing his other hand on her lower back and guiding her to the seat.  He knew she could feel the slight tingles being sent up her spine from his touch, he could feel them himself. 

            She thanked him as she sat, and he returned to his chair silently, a grin present on his face.  What a gentlemen, he heard in his head, the familiar velvety voice he adored.

            He glanced up at Elysie to see if she could tell she was in his head, and when the corners of her full lips tugged upward, he knew she had.  The King was impressed she was getting better at controlling her thoughts.

            "So, Nicon," she said, a slight exaggeration on his name.  "Tell me about the Shifters' way of life.  I've been here for a few days yet I know close to nothing."

            "What do you want to know?"

            "Is there a class system?  Hierarchy?"

            "Well," the King said proudly, "As you are aware, I am the King.  I rule over all eight sectors."  His thoughts drifted to the most recent Council meeting.  The Alpha of the territory next to the man Nicon killed had taken over, creating eight territories instead of nine.  One less Alpha to rule. 

            Normally, the next successor to the Alpha, the Beta, would take the leadership role, but he was killed before he had the chance.

            "The rank below mine is the Alpha, followed by the Beta, warriors, and finally ordinary pack members."

            "Are there any women in high ranks?"

Nicon frowned.  "No.  They take care of the children.  Some are warriors, however, but it's quite rare."

            Elysie bit her lip.  She didn't think that was fair, but her village was the same way.  Women occupied the non-laborious jobs such as looking after the children and cooking. 

            "For the duration of my stay here, will I be kept by myself?"  The King noticed the girl was extremely curious today, more so than normal.  He didn't want to upset her with any of his answers; for fear that their progress would go to waste, and he was worried his hesitance was showing.

            "For the time being, yes.  I apologize."

            "What about my mother?  Will I ever see her again?" 

            "Once I know it is safe for you."

            "What could possibly be unsafe about seeing my mother?"

            "If you were to be seen by any other Shifters, with the exception of Syd and Killian, your encounter would not be calm."  Nicon tried to explain it to his mate in the kindest terms he could muster.  If another Alpha found out about her, or any member of the Council for that matter, they would want her head on a silver platter.  Her only immediate protection would be her mate.

            Now that Nicon had found her, he was not letting her go.

            "Very well," she said, but her small frown did not go unnoticed.

            Needing reassurance, Nicon's eyes flickered to the wall of the dining room where on the table lay a new, neatly placed leather bound journal with multiple sketching pencils resting on the front cover.  He had faith her sight would return one day, and when it did, he would make it up to her.

            After all, now that they found each other, they had eternity.