Haventon Born Chapter Two

David sat up abruptly, then sank back to his pillows with a relieved groan. It had been all dream, hadn't it? He examined his wrists, then dragged himself in the bathroom mirror and checked his neck. Of course, there were no bite marks. If she'd somehow got into to his home, he wouldn't just be tired and gritty-headed. He'd be dead or worse – probably worse.

Still, dreaming about her rather than his father seemed wrong. She must be messing with him. Something he'd put a stop to today.

After breakfast, he went through his bag to make sure he was ready this time. He pocketed his crucifix for easy access and coated the stakes with a thin layer of garlic oil. Another crucifix on a chain and two solid silver thick wrist guards would keep her fangs at bay.

Physical preparations complete he sat down to go through the special mediations, which the Order swore helped resist mind control. Hopefully they worked; he'd never had to rely on them before. His preparation would be useless if she could force him to disarm himself.

"Stop being so negative!" he muttered to himself before going on with the exercises.

When he reopened his eyes, having completed the last one, he realised his telephone was ringing. He got up and answered it with a resigned sigh.

"David! Thank goodness you're in." It was Tanya, his immediate superior in the Order. She was also his cousin – a breach of protocol he still didn't understand.

"Hey, Tan," he said. "Is this a personal call? I was about to go out on business..." he trailed off knowing she'd catch his meaning.

"I won't keep you then," she said. "This is important. But first, I'm sorry about your father. Uncle Mark was always good to me. I was shocked when Sarah called."

David had to swallow a couple of times before he could respond. "T-thanks." He gasped back a sob. "I never knew he had allergies."

"Sometimes, they just happen." She waited while he composed himself. "I wouldn't have called, but like I said it's important. There's this girl, a couple of years younger than you; She's very new and did something dumb – went after a night shift worker, thinking that he was trouble."

"Oh, oh dear."

"She got away with it thankfully. It's a miracle he didn't call the police."

"He didn't?" David's stomach churned unexpectedly. "That's odd. I mean––"

"It is, isn't it?" Tanya sounded troubled. "But we don't need the police involved and he's definitely not a vampire."

"Tan!"

"Don't worry, Dave. This line's secure," she said. "But would you keep an eye on her? We've put her back on probation, and I'm too busy to check her every suspect. She lives fairly close to you, and all you'd have to do is make sure she doesn't make any more mistakes."

He hesitated. He really didn't need this but couldn't really refuse. "Sure," he said, finally. "But, I can't start today. I have to attend to that business I mentioned and visit Mum."

"Of course," she said sympathetically. "Tomorrow will do. Let's meet in the park, normal place at noon. I'll introduce you."

"Okay, will do."

"Good hunting, David." She rang off.

David replaced the receiver with another sigh. "It never rains but what it pours," he muttered and went to collect his bag. It was time to finish what he'd started.

***

Anna ground her teeth and resisted storming into the room beyond the heavy oak door she was listening at only with some effort. Blowing up wouldn't help her case – she was in enough trouble as it was. But to hear Tanya placing her under the authority of some guy not much older than her was intolerable.