Prologue

I finished getting ready for the Halloween dance, I was a witch with black wig covering my green hair. My little sister looked at me wearing the dress with the pointy hat and looked moments away from laughing.

"Shut up, Ruby."  I said as Kat's Mini pulled up. I kissed Ruby's head and stuck my head in on dad. "I'm going now." I saw ten seconds later he was asleep probably sleeping off another hangover. If Granny wasn't here, I wouldn't be leaving. I tried not to wince at the heels as I opened the door and saw Kat as a cat in her car playing Pink Floyd. 

"Nine inch heels and black wig." Kat observed and I meowed at her. We laughed as I got into the Mini and we drove away. 

"Thanks for the lift," I said and Kat turned up the music. It took twenty minutes and a lot of swearing at bad drivers. "Finally. I thought we were going to be late." I sighed as we parked in the parking lot and got out without falling over in the heels we never wear. The guys and Bec were waiting for us.

"Hey Elphaba, hey Salem." Kyle greeted and I stuck my tongue out. He offered his arm to me and Kat. I took it because Kat took Blue's arm and Bec took Jake's arm and because he was my date. 

"Kyle, I'm a random witch not the Wicked Witch,"  I muttered "If I was Elphaba, I would be green." He stuck out his tongue and I punched his arm.

"Stop flirting with each other." Bec whispered leaning between us. We both gave her the finger. We entered the dance.

A few hours later my phone rung and I read the caller ID. It was the emergency phone for Ruby and I automatically went outside.

"Ruby, what happened? Are you okay?" I asked and I heard her breathing like she was having a panic attack. 

"People are breaking in. Granny and dad are fending them off," She wheezed. "They have the tattoo on your wrist as well." A scream rang on the other side and I knew it was granny.

"Okay Ruby, hide in your closet and don't hang up or make a sound. I'm on my way." The others had followed me out. I mouthed car at Kat and she nodded. Another rang out on the other side and I knew I was an orphan but didn't feel that much different. My dad stopped being dad when he left us for alcohol.

"They're coming up the stairs," Ruby whispered and I was running towards Kat's car. I heard her bedroom door open and someone walking into the room. "Hurry," Ruby whispered barely making any noise. I heard the closet open and Ruby screaming "JADEY!"

"RUBY!" I yelled as I got into the car and someone else picked up the phone.

"Enjoy the fear that she could be one of us." I couldn't tell if it was a he or she before the call cut off. Kat had been driving and got us there in 5 minutes. I had shed the heels and I saw the front door was hanging off the hinges . I ran into the house and almost threw up. Granny and dad's throats had been ripped out, their blood was on my feet. I ran up the stairs and saw Ruby's room covered in blood, her dolls and stuffed toys looked like they were crying blood.

"Ruby..." I moaned as I saw the closet which seemed to be the origin of the blood. The bunny mom got her was in there and was soaking with blood. I did something I rarely did, I started crying.

"Jade?" Kat asked from the doorway. I looked at her and decided to stop crying for Kat who looked scared.

"I'll be fine, especially when I kill the bastards that did this to my family." I meant it and Kat gave me a look I knew well.

"I'll help, nothing you say will change my mind." She looked angry, Ruby was like the little sister she never had especially since Kat was the first friend I ever made and no matter what never left.

"I knew you were going to help." I muttered as I hugged her. I saw my door was opened and I let out. "My door's open." I breathed. Kat grabbed one of Ruby's little chairs and I did too. I went in first and saw something written in blood on my mirror.

ENJOY THE FEAR THAT YOUR LITTLE SISTER COULD BE A VAMPIRE

"Sick bastard," Someone behind us said. I swung the chair at him realising too late it was Kyle. He stopped it and grabbed it from me. "Why did you try to-" He was interrupted by the sound of people screaming and yelling. His face turned pale. Everyone we knew was in trouble, I knew we were going to lose more people. The others were hiding in my granny's room. I walked in and went to the safe. I opened and took out the gun. "Dude, I don't think guns work on vampires, I'm assuming that it's vampires by the message and the ripped out throats." Kyle said before seeing the look on my face. I knew the look said that mentioning the fact that I'm probably familyless or that my little sister was kidnapped by some freaks might mean I cry.

"Maybe the myths aren't true. Maybe you just kill them by shooting them in the heart or something." Blue suggested when I heard someone in the hall.

"There's more guns in the safe and there's a taser too." I mouthed moving towards the door and turning the safety off. The door slowly opened and I saw fangs. 

"I can smell you, don't try to escape." The vampire hissed and widened her eyes when I shot her in the head. She fell to the ground and laid twitching for ten seconds then stopped moving. 

"Shooting in the head works." Jake signed. Jake was deaf and could read lips so we never signed to him but we could read sign language. The others nodded in agreement.

"There might be more." I muttered slowly walking out of the room and peering around the corners. Nobody was there. The dead one was the only one. "She was alone, we need to move." I called.

"What do you mean?" Bec asked when I went into my room.

"She means that we can't stay here because of the corpses and that vampire might have friends looking for her," Kat explained before following me into my room. I was putting stuff into a bag we would need and some of my personal stuff, photos, jewelry and one of Ruby's teddy bears. "I need some of your clothes since my cat costume isn't practical." Kat said leaning against the doorframe. 

"Guys take clothes from my dad and girls mine and my granny's" I called. Kat took clothes she would consider wearing and Bec took everything dark blue to cover up her blue vampire dress. The guys didn't complain about having to wear my dad's clothes probably because his clothes were their style. I finished putting on my favourite jacket after getting out of the dress and picked up one of the bags along as the gun. I saw the guys were now looking less werewolf, ghost and zombie and we waited for the girls to finished.

"Jade, can I um take this?" Bec said holding my mom's old coat and I surprised myself.

"Sure. I don't wear it," I saw Kat's surprised expression which mirrored mine. "Anyone got a lighter or match?"

"Yeah, it was in the jacket." Blue said handing it to me. I looked around at my house and thought about how much I was going to miss it before throwing the lighted match into my granny's room. The others ran outside with me behind. We ran into the woods behind my house and hid behind trees to watch it burn.

"Why did you burn it?" Jake signed at me. 

"To throw off the vampires about us and we don't have time to bury my dad and granny." I mouthed when I noticed vampires in the front yard staring at it burning except two of them who were looking at me. They looked two years older than us and were brother and sister. The boy mouthed "Run." at me. We started to run further into the woods before I saw a small body on another vampire's shoulder holding onto a stuffed toy. The small body looked like Ruby and I hoped I never found out or not. We ran into the woods not looking back, to live and train in the woods and to never forget.