Calling To The Night

Summary: Words died down in his throat when he saw the young captain lying in a pool of blood.

Warning: LawLu, MSF soldier AU, OOC

xxxxxx

CALLING TO THE NIGHT

xxxxxxx

Muck and grime covered his body, almost like a second skin. The tattooed male had been camping this spot for days, waiting for the current enemy's flag to be shot down – the signal to engage.

And on flames, the cloth the symbolized the union of several nations was soon set ablaze. The insignia of tyranny and oppression challenged. The fate of the country of Dressrosa rested on their hands, the soldiers without borders.

Law peered at the scope of his Dragunov, one hand supporting the sniper rifle while the other rests trigger-ready. Grey eyes scanned the area, targeting enemy units on the left flank. His aim was clean and precise like an injection shot.

Liberation – that was the idea behind their mission.

His mission, however, though not too far-flung, was to rip-off the hellish grin from the bastard ruler's face. Doesn't matter if he was the one to do it by himself or the others, he just wants him to be taken down. The nature of his reason is personal.

He was cautioned about his obsession for revenge, reminded him to trust his comrades on the battlefield. And first and foremost, this is a job. They were professionals – not some greenhorn rookies. Speaking of which, he had another mission of utmost importance as well. He pulled the trigger again.

Another body down.

He found himself smirking as the young captain with a straw hat on his back ran through, unscathed. Much as the man moved swiftly and in an unpredictable manner, Law religiously followed him with his sight, the matter of blinking forgotten by his eyes.

xxxxxx

Hours passed by and the fight dragged on. Casualties were immense on both sides. Law was no longer at his initial vantage point. He had gone deep into the chaos.

He wasn't meant to leave his post unless he got attacked. But for a second of neglect, a moment of distraction – when the King appeared within his field, he had lost sight of the other. It didn't help that he saw an explosion go off at the last direction he'd seen the straw hatted captain.

Worry and dread, seeped through his morbid thoughts as Law searched for him in the midst of the ongoing skirmish. Flames refused to die down from the debris and a metallic scent lingered in the air along with the suffocating smoke. The sound of bullets whirring to the air, of shrapnels hitting flesh and anguished cries rolled in waves.

And he found the man, lying on the rubble, on a suspicious pool of blood.

Words died from his mouth, his own voice failing him. Grey eyes panicked as his legs ran the fastest he ever did towards the young captain, towards his lover.

But before he could confirm his fears, he heard – he saw a pinless grenade drop nearby.

Fueled by instinct, Law grabbed Luffy and tried to protect him from the onslaught. Even if it could have been for naught, even if the only thing he protected was a lifeless body...

His consciousness failed him.

xxxxxx

Law awoke to the feeling of being dragged off and immense pain – fucking sheer pain. Half-conscious, his brain tried to piece the shambled pieces. To his left, he saw one of their allied officers. His arm slung on the other's neck. The blonde's eyes snapped at him as he groaned.