Irony

"James, here's your dare."

The loud bass boomed from the speakers and bounced off the walls. The strobe lights started to grow crazy as the music gained tempo. Everybody on the table looked at me with expectant eyes.

Sam took a shot before he read what was written on the paper. "Call the last person you texted and ask him slash her if he slash she loves you."

Juls snickered next to me. "That's too easy. Every one loves him."

The whole gang laughed until Sam shushed them. He gave me a slight nod, as if he was challenging me. "So, James? Are you up for it?"

"I'm game." I told him as I took my phone out of my pocket. I checked my messages, and swallowed when I saw the contact on top of the list. "Shit."

Juls heard me curse. He grabbed the bowl of chips and placed it on his lap. "Oh, this is going to be entertaining." He took a handful of junk food and stuffed it in his mouth. "You have to put it on speaker, though. So we'll know."

I cleared my throat and downed one more shot for extra courage. My stomach was already feeling sick, but I know it was not just because of the alcohol. My eyes were half-closed as I tapped on the call icon.

The other line started to ring, and the time read 2:54. I secretly hoped that she was already fast asleep, but another part of me wanted her to pick up. Another part of me wanted to hear. To know. To understand.

"Hello?" A familiar voice came on, and everybody gasped and threw looks of excitement at each other. I adjusted in my seat so that both of my elbows were resting on my thighs, and my right hand was holding my phone near my mouth.

"Hi, um-well-" I stammered, and I could see my friends with all their lips pursed, trying to hold back their laughter. I shook my head and tried to form coherent thoughts in my head. "Did I wake you?"

"Uhhh, no." Her voice sounded tired and hoarse. "I was actually making plans for my birthday. What do you think? Should I have a party? Or small dinner na lang?"

"I'd take you out for dinner if you want." I looked down on my shoes and tried to hide from the teasing and knowing looks of my friends.

"Asus, ang dami mong alam." She snorted and then giggled. I couldn't help but smile. "Oh bakit ka napatawag? Akala ko kasama mo barkada mo."

"Uh, yeah. I'm with them."

"Aaaaah. So ano na nga?"

I nervously looked around as if I was trying to find the answer to her question in between the two bodies grinding against each other at three o'clock. Sam kept nudging me, and Juls clasped his hand on my shoulder repeatedly until I decided to do the dare.

"Do you love me?"

The music changed into something I slow and smooth. Either the DJ has impeccable timing or he knows what's up; now that the music is softer, my friends can clearly hear what her answer would be.

A minute passed, and there was still no response. "Nadine?"

"Can we-" She grunted. "I'm-I'm tired. I'm going to bed, James. Have fun. Good night."

The line went dead, and I felt something inside of me did, too.

I stared at my phone for a while before I placed it on the table. When I looked up, I was greeted by different pairs of eyes showing identical reactions: pity and guilt.

I let out a nervous, throaty laugh to cover up the awkwardness in the air. I shook my head as I told them, "Guys, no big deal. I'm fine." My hand grabbed the bottle of vodka on the table and raised it above my head. "Let's drink some more?"