Chapter 1: Like Father Like Daughter

Kéronye, Northern Lézandre. 57 AE

She lives in the forest...

Alone and alone in her dark fortress...

Don't go there, don't point your hand...

She's the witch of Tarmirea's land...

The little girl sang alone outside her garden in the middle of the pitch black night. No stars were twinkling tonight and the full moon was carried away by the ghostly grey clouds. The garden was only illuminated by the torch in front of her villa. She sat there, closed her eyes and continued to sing. Her white cat slept soundly on her cradle, stroked by the soft fingers of the little girl.

She's the witch of Tarmirea's land...

Cursed by her own people and her lover...

Living alone in her dark tower...

Don't go there, don't give her your pain...

Or else you will never return again...

A pair of dark eyes watched the lonely little girl sitting under the dark night singing the cursed song. The thin lips grinned to the ears. A perfect night to catch an unaware lonely girl. The silhouette started his pace. He softened his feet whenever he stepped on the soft grass. There was no slight of gush wind, just the cold air that lurked around the bones. His pace was quicker now. He readied his hands to grab the girl. He was nearer now. The smell of vanilla from the girl's hair tickled his nostrils. But then, his foot stepped on a dried leaf, crunching it to the ground.

"Daddy! I know it's you," the little girl turned around with a smile on her face. The cat awakened but continue its slumber, still under the girl's cradle.

The grin still did not disappeared but his dark eyes turn bright, "What's daddy's little girl doing out here alone? You know the Orcs like little girls who wanders alone in the middle of night?" He brushed her daughter's hair.

"I like the Orcs. They're big and has sharp teeth like this," the little girl showed her shiny canines. "Daddy?"

"Yes honey?"

"Why do we hate Orcs? A lot of my friends hate them."

"Do you like them?" the man looked into his daughter's little blue eyes.

"Yes, I like them. They're nice and friendly."

The man was about to ask another question but the squeaky sound of the oak door behind him interrupted his thoughts. A young woman in her thirties, wearing a red silk cloth and a black long skirt waved at them. Her light brown eyes shone as the bright moonlight reflected them in a sparkling way.

"Emilia! Darling! It's dinner time," called the young woman at the distant father and daughter.

"Come, Emilia. I could smell your favorite chicken porridge in the kitchen and your Missy's favorite tunny," the man stood up and pinched his little girl's cheek. The little girl just giggled happily and grabbed her father's hand towards the two storey villa. The cat eventually leapt out from her cradle, yawned for a while and also followed them into the steaming kitchen.

***

6 months later...

The blue sky was accompanied by dozens of fluffy white clouds. The buzzing sound from the bees and the running splashes of the river water filled the noise of the typical Saturday morning. Robert Diane's countryside villa looked calmed from the inside. Very calm.